Divers on the Fingerlakes

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Divers on the Fingerlakes

Postby eGrant51 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Yesterday I did some scouting on the south end of Senaca. I took the big boat and went a mile or two north. I saw blackducks and mallards and geese. I did not see any divers. I am going to have one chance to try the layout rig. Has anyone seen redheads or bluebill on the lakes? eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Re: Divers on the Fingerlakes

Postby CGeminski » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:38 pm

Hunted a few miles north of Watkins today..... TONS of mallards, a few blacks ducks and tons of canada and snow geese in the middle of the lake. Very few divers seen, maybe a dozen birds total which were mostly bufflehead.
CGeminski
hunter

Postby flingineels » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Maybe their past you already, we have had them on the Island for a few weeks now. Which feels early for us, actually went after them today for the first time. Got two Broadbill and some tweeser beaks.
flingineels
hunter

Postby cfkid8 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:09 pm

tons on onatrio, Saw big flocks of bluebills and goldeneye. Small flocks of buffs and even a pair of Cans today. all are flying about 250yds off shore. layout would be game over.
cfkid8
hunter

Postby CGeminski » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:58 pm

Saw one huge flock of divers (100+) heading south today on Seneca, couldn't what kind as we were looking into the sun. We were hunting about 10 miles north of Watkins Glen on the west side. Still a TON of mallards around, even on a sunny morning we had constant shooting.
CGeminski
hunter

Postby Benellipup » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Dont know where the ducks are... None on the finger lakes
Last edited by Benellipup on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benellipup
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:14 pm

You guys do know you spot burning by giving all the cyber scouting D-bags all the info on where the ducks are. Try to keep in mind that there are those out there that hate to see parking lots full as well as every bay and point. If your looking to put extra pressure on your birds, this is a good way to do it. If they have too much pressure they will move out, then no one will end the season well. Just my two cents
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby GREGS » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:42 pm

All my cyber scouting tells me there are already too many hunters up there.
I'm coming up anyway, See ya Friday!
GREGS
hunter

Postby Benellipup » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Sorry about that 870,

I understand that there are not hard working hunters out there like most of us on this forum that just want quick info...

On another note, im not a huge fan of lots of hunting pressure... but its nice to see that the sport that we love is growing.. unfortunetly there are some morons out there that ruin things for us.. but lets face it... we need the support. (cyber scouting is not the real way to do it) in fact there is a huge amount of mis-led information out there...
Benellipup
hunter

Postby CGeminski » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Seneca Lake is almost 40 miles long, even if I give you a "general" area on the lake, I am not worried about "spot burning" as there is limited access and you would need private access (good luck) or some serious equipment (long run from any launch ramp) to get in the game on Seneca.
If someone thinks they can lurk, read my posts, then hunt Seneca with waders and a half dozen dekes they have another thing coming. What I did not say is exactly where we set up or how we rigged out. Scouting and experience come into play there.
CGeminski
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:36 am

I think that right now, if you find open water you are going to find ducks. There are mallards and blackducks everywhere I look. I did not get a chance to get out on Senaca and did not want to bring the layout rig if there were no divers. It is a sad day, if, when on a site like this, you can't mention seeing ducks without fear of being over run. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 pm

eGrant51 wrote:I think that right now, if you find open water you are going to find ducks. There are mallards and blackducks everywhere I look. I did not get a chance to get out on Senaca and did not want to bring the layout rig if there were no divers. It is a sad day, if, when on a site like this, you can't mention seeing ducks without fear of being over run. eGrant

Grant I can understand the excitement of seeing tons of birds finally down on the waters you love to hunt. You’re right though; it is a sad day when once you open your mouth that will open a floodgate to your spot. I only said what I did because I’ve seen it happen a lot over the years on this site, that’s why I set announcement up at the top on why we are tight lipped.

Go ahead; let the world know where the ducks are. Personally I don’t hunt the south end of Lake Ontario or the Finger Lakes so it’s no skin off of my butt. I was trying to help by mentioning what has happened in the past here on this forum.

Pup I agree we do need to introduce others to the sport to keep it strong. If all we do is invite others who already hunt to where we like to hunt, are numbers don’t grow at all, only the pressure does. What works is to introduce someone to the sport who has never hunted before and put that person on a spot where there are lots of duck with little to moderate pressure. After that the newbe will be hooked for life, I have seen it done from experience and the sport will grow. We want numerical growth not transferal growth.

Have fun guys with the rest of your season.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby mwc4fishing » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:07 pm

well said 870..
you guys ever been offshore on a hot tuna bite? you might share some info with a few close buddies, but you welcome the whole world and soon you'll be riding around looking again. This site is the VHF of the internet!
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 pm

I took the big boat out of the water for the season. The canal was freezing. Maybe next year. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:47 pm

I took a ride up the west side of the lake yesterday. Now that the season is over, I saw 2 big flocks of divers on the lake. Not as many as I have seen in the past, mostly on the north end. Maybe next year. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting