Ringneck decoy placement help.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Ringneck decoy placement help.

Postby Fordx4bronc » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:59 am

I have been looking for a diagram or picture of a setup for decoying ringnecks. We have a large pong with alot of submerged grass that has groups of ringnecks trading in and out of it all day long usually. Problem is when we set up out decoys they always land or pass 10-15 yards out of shooting range. We are putting out a dozen ringnecks and 2 dozen bluebill decoy. I am working on finding some more ringneck decoys to phase out the bluebills. When they land they will swim right over to the decoys most times. Any suggestions of what we can do to bring them in closer to us? Currently we are setting the decoys up in a J formation coming from the shore line out 30 yards or so. We also usually have a half dozen or so Geese decoys out set up about 40 yards off in case the geese that use this pond come in so we can get a passing shot.

Any recommendations of what to change would be appreciated. I had thought about flipping the J around to give them a landing area a little further from shore than what they have but still in gun range.
Fordx4bronc
hunter

Re: Ringneck decoy placement help.

Postby ky lake mud pie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:15 pm

you could try placing the decoys in a V formation, sometimes that helps. Shore hunting i always use the wagon wheel spread that shade posted on an earlier formum. With a group of ducks right on shore then longlines going out set the lines out like your hand where the get closer where the group is and wider away from the shore. We shoot ringers all the time and then tend to just follow any of the lines in and aren't to picky about only landing by the ringneck decoys. If you scroll down on the forum page shade has a diagram of what the spread should look like it's under pics of your spreads or something like that. That is what I do as well and it works pretty good. If you don't have large numbers of decoys you can still do the same thing but instead of looking like a spread out hand it will look like a wad of ducks and a V coming off with just two longlines. I hope this makes any since, It might be worth a try.
ky lake mud pie
hunter

Re: Ringneck decoy placement help.

Postby Fordx4bronc » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:23 pm

I will check that out.
Fordx4bronc
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting