Duck Hunting Forum banner

******* Rigged Layout Blind Snow Cover

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  O.D.Lid 
#1 ·
I have a final approach SUB layout blind and I need some ideas to hide the blind better in snow in the fields without buying the snow cover because i think it's ridiculous to pay almost as much for a snow cover as you pay for the blind. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Spray cans of Christmas tree flocking. Should be able to get it on a discount right now too.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using tapatalk 2

#6 ·
White bed sheets do not work!!! The UV reflection is grey instead of white. Remeber that birds see in UV not human color spectrum. I have tried the white bed sheets but birds only flaired. Break down and get a snow cover or you will just flair birds...

#7 ·
Blackfoot down said:
White bed sheets do not work!!! The UV reflection is grey instead of white. Remeber that birds see in UV not human color spectrum. I have tried the white bed sheets but birds only flaired. Break down and get a snow cover or you will just flair birds...
I tried bedsheets once, the birds we saw that day didn't seem to want to commit. You might be on to something.

#9 ·
Botiz630 said:
Blackfoot down said:
I tried bedsheets once, the birds we saw that day didn't seem to want to commit. You might be on to something.
Agreed, I have tried sheets a couple of times... didn't work...

#11 ·
I bought pull-over snow camo from gamehide and by the look of it it doesn't look like it should reflect UV light so I'm gonna give that a try tomorrow. Besides i needed snow camo for coyote hunting anyway.

#13 ·
YOu guys are absolutely right... blankets DO NOT work. One time me n my buddies went to hunt a field in the snow so we used white sheets and every flock wouldn't finish. So we tried changing the dekes around and everything. Still no success. After a while the one guy says lets just take off the whit sheets and try that. Took off the white sheetz and we killed our 3 man limit. They deffinately do not work because of the UV ordeal. Break down and get a snow cover or use santa spray.

#16 ·
3legged_lab said:
Spray cans of Christmas tree flocking. Should be able to get it on a discount right now too.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using tapatalk 2
x2

they do look at you funny in walmart when u walk up with 3 boxes of spray snow after the christmas holiday. i payed 10 bucks for a box of 12. A heavy application is usually a can per layout for us. ive tried bed sheets with burlap tied in and holes for stubble and it always seemed to get in the way more than it helped. so we stubble the blinds and spray the snow all over it. personally i wouldnt hunt a field where u couldnt see at least a little of the ground or tops of corn so the spray snow on top of a stubbed blind looks like the rest of the field. Just make sure u leave the cans in the truck till right before you spray or the cold weather will stop it from all coming out and ul only be able to spray maybe a half a can. after it gets back to room temperature it will spray again.

#19 ·
Proof is in the pictures....

I washed these strips from an old white sheet in UV killer. If it is that obvious to human eyes, imagine what it looks like to a birds eyes...

I got luck that one of the 6 flocks that worked got too close. These flocks wanted in on my spread badly, but would all flare at 60-80 yards. The last flock circled one too many times and got a flank was around 45 yards. All the flocks circled 5 or six times. I have never had geese circle more than two or three times before commiting or leaving...

Attachments

#20 ·
sheets suck if there is any weather see right through 'em. strips of tyvek works ok tie them on like stubble straps, did this to my dogs first layout cause they didn't make a snow cover for it. :fingerhead: :fingerhead: bought a ghg with snow cover love it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.