hunting the rice in Oz

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

hunting the rice in Oz

Postby Joe.358win » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:11 am

Hi everyone,my name is Joe,and I am new to the site.I have been into duck hunting for a few years now,and just the weekend before christmas,got out to the rice fields in NSW for a duck hunt.It was a slow 3 days,not alot of birds about,but those that were there,were very flighty.They didn't circle,just picked a spot from up high and dived for the rice beds.Although a hard slog at first,I eventually started to get a few,which kept me a little happy,and the farm owner was more than pleased to see a few crop raiders sorted out.I was also able to take my 8 year old son along for the weekend as well,and he walked every step with me.It was his first hunting adventure,and at the age of 8,he is still 4 years away from being able to hold a junior shooters permit,so he had to be content to watch dad.He was fine company,and was as excited as I was when we got a duck,and shared my sadness when we missed.He was fantastic to have sitting on the levy banks with me,as he could look out one way while I looked the other.There were a few times when he mistook a heron for a duck,but I was on the ball,and was able to give him a few tips on how to tell them apart when flying.
A brace of wood ducks,with a black duck in there as well hanging from my right shoulder.

I was able to also shoot my first hare,shown here by my son

cheers Joe
Joe.358win
Newb

Re: hunting the rice in Oz

Postby glass eye » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Hope to hunt OZ someday. I've hunted NZ a couple times.
glass eye
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:50 am

Greetings from Coastal North Carolina....hope that all those strict gun laws in Aussie land do not hinder your waterfowl hunting in your area in the future. I've been up in NWT off after Magpie Geese in 1995...wicked crocks...and enjoyed New Zealands Geese and ducks off the Wangatuee and Lake Taupo while stationed out in the Pacific region of the world.

Great photo with those waterfowl....best regards for each new day... There is some great wildfowl hunting up your way...and I thought...too many snakes!!! I'll stick with the coastal saltmarsh of the Carolina's from now own.

Joe Guide

(www.joeguideoutfitters.com)
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby Joe.358win » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:22 am

The Victorian duck season kicked off yesterday morning,and from all the reports,it has been an absolute cracker,best opening for years.I wasn't able too get out,as my commitments to basketball coaching mean that my Saturday's are booked out.I will hopefully be able to get out next week a few times though,and see how I go.I will take the camera and hopefully get some good pics.
Joe.358win
Newb

Postby Dep6 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Nice pics, good luck!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Bartnmax » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:57 am

Hey Joe.

Great to see ya introducing the young fella to duck hunting.
I also had a pretty good season on the rice this year - mainly around the Conargo area.
Heaps of Teal & Blackies as usual but also got a good smattering of Grass Whistlers & Hard Head as well.

Popped down Gippsland way for the season opening last week end.
Good number of birds around & good hunting, but the water is still a bit low so quite a bit of work getting out to em & back.
Couldn't use the outboard so ended up doin' a lot of rowin' around the lake. I don't mind it though as it means taking off from camp that bit earlier, & listening to them birds in the pre-dawn as I quietly row across the water, with my Britt 'Buck' quietly whining on the front of thre boat - just magic.
Got mainly Chestnut Teal with a good mix oif Blackies, woodies, & Bluewings thrown in as well as one Mountain duck.
Heard the lake was black with Pink Ears the week prior to opening but didn't see any over the opening week end.
All in all a great trip. Popped down there on the Thurs preceeding the opening & came home Tues' arvo, so had a nice non-rushed opening trip this year.

Already planning the next trip down that way for a few more quackers, but first comes the quail season opener in just over 2 weeks time - can't wait.

Keep throwing lead at em Joe & good luck mate.

Bill (from Werribee).
Bartnmax
hunter

Postby Joe.358win » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:41 am

Hi Bartnmax,I was able to get down to Hospital Swamp in Geelong on Friday arvo,didn't fire a shot though.There were a few birds about,but I was way off the flight line.I went back down early Sunday arvo,and found a good spot,which produced good results.I managed 1 shoveler and 3 grey teal.I had to retire my dog(curly coat)from hunting during last season,as he is 13 now,I miss him not being out there with me.

I am in Knoxfield,mainly hunt Hospital,as it is the closest.

Joe
Joe.358win
Newb

Return to International Duck Hunting