How is your season?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

How is your season?

Postby AaronR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:00 pm

Just checking to see how all your seasons have been as a whole?

Mine has been up and down but much better than last year. Hunted all public ground and have managed to kill more mallards than ever before. Had some really slow hunts and also the best mallard shoot of my life. Overall I swould say this had been a great season for a waterfowler in North La and hope for a few more weeks of good hunting and good times!
AaronR
hunter

Re: How is your season?

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:31 pm

First split was the second slowest of the six seasons I've been keeping a log, but didn't seem bad at all because plenty of mallards were around to mitigate our missing greenwings' numbers with weight and color on the strap. Haven't a good way to compare our second split numbers to date to years past, but am thinking it would compare very well to the best of them - so far and knock wood.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Our Teal season was SPECTACULAR!! Quick hunts with big bunches of blue wing!! First split was slower then last year with less then half of the total ducks harvested. Second split has been extremly slow. If this trend continues i expect to harvest just above half of what we did last year. Birds are just not staying in our area??
MUCH MUCH less Geese and ducks around us then last year.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:52 pm

So are you guys seeing a drastically reduced number of green wing teal and gadwall??? Those are normally our main kills with mallards and pintails as bonus. This year have killed only handful of green wings and gadwall. Have killed more mallards and wigeon than any past season though. Any idea of what could be the cause of this trend?
AaronR
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:00 pm

As noted, our first split GWT take was abysmal: just 25 compared to the previous five seasons' first split low of 63 and high of 133. But we're seeing more now and have taken 53 thus far in the second split, though that rate won't put us near our previous split low of 133, much less the high of 214.

Hadn't given grays any thought until you asked, as last season was the first that we totaled over 100, and barely that. But the logs show that our 6 last split is even worse than our previous first split low of 10 in 2007-2008. With 25 on the books to date this split, however, they seem back on track for a normal or better second split. Certainly better than the 16 in 2007-2008, even with the notation that the species shot during eight days of that second split were lost in a server change.

Wigeon haven't been common enough here to be shot in significant numbers since long before I started logging species, though they once were. But with 3 in our first split and 8 so far this one, we're already ahead of three of the past five seasons, yet unlikely approach 2008-2009's total of 32.

Have no clue, whatsoever, what any of that might mean. Just know we're having some fun.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 pm

AaronR wrote:So are you guys seeing a drastically reduced number of green wing teal and gadwall??? Those are normally our main kills with mallards and pintails as bonus. This year have killed only handful of green wings and gadwall. Have killed more mallards and wigeon than any past season though. Any idea of what could be the cause of this trend?

Though our numbers are down we have taken more wigeon then last year and haven't seen or harvested many gadwall. Mallards were taken on every hunt. Green wing are not and have not been in our area in any numbers all season with only an occasional sighting. We have harvested only a handfull. Reports from the marsh south of me in Pecan Island and Grand Chenier have shown large numbers of gadwall in these extreme coastal areas with some blinds getting 4 man limits of gadwall only. We have taken a few Pintail as well but they have disappeared over the last few days as did most of the ducks.
D Comeaux
hunter

How is your season?

Postby Sclf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:44 pm

First split was fantastic. Second split has been rough. Haven't seen the gwt and gadwall numbers that we did last year.
Sclf
hunter

Postby AaronR » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Well it's pretty interesting to see how the species harvested all over the state compare. We have also taken a mallard on every hunt but 1. We also haven't taken a ton of wigeon in any season, usually 4-5 a year has been average from my memory. This season we have taken around a dozen or so. Not a big difference but noticeable change. Have killed only 10 or so GWT this season. This is WAY below average. I would estimate we average 4-5 per hunt in a normal year and the same for gads. Hope you all finish out strong!
AaronR
hunter

Postby MartinTheDuck » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Aron - you say you've been crushing Mallards?!? Where you been hunting!? I saw my first group 2 weeks ago when that big rain came through! Just been killing Woodies and GWT. It seems, without fail, everytime we decide to pack in and call it a day, in comes a group of teal. It's been a slow season for me, and not having a boat is killing me. I've almost convinced myself to hunt off the levee @ WHAM, but I don't want to deal with those poodoos all day, or all the junkie hobo trash everywhere.
MartinTheDuck
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:59 am

@martintheduck- we hunt all over from Toledo bend to Mississippi River to mid ark. I have buddies on hwy 15 and in mer rouge area that have killed a lot of mallards as well. More than normal that is. Maybe not record numbers but more than average for sure.
AaronR
hunter

Postby Hollywood Mallard » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Well Aaron I have had a fair season in what few hunts ive been on killing mostly gadwalls with a few mallards all on private land... If im not mistakeing ive heard you speak of this hole before possibly some of your old stomping groud?
Hollywood Mallard
Newb

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:18 am

Been better than the last 3 for me as far as numbers killed. I'm just tired of wood ducks and gadwalls, they have probably totaled 70-80% of the birds killed for me this year.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 am

Hollywood Mallard wrote:Well Aaron I have had a fair season in what few hunts ive been on killing mostly gadwalls with a few mallards all on private land... If im not mistakeing ive heard you speak of this hole before possibly some of your old stomping groud?

This year I have been pretty mobile. Have been moving around a lot and hunting different areas. Seemed to get slow if I stayed in 1 hole too long.
AaronR
hunter

How is your season?

Postby Geauxtigers1421 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 pm

I wish I could see some mallards! This season has been extremely slow for me. Been looking around for leases for next season since Big Branch NWR is beginning to get pretty dangerous as well...
Geauxtigers1421
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting