Puddle ducks or divers? Answer....... Both.

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Puddle ducks or divers? Answer....... Both.

Postby fatalapproach » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:20 am

So we decided to go for puddle ducks and our spot was loaded with Ruddys and brant. The one newbie limited out on 3 limits by 930. He had 2 brant. 5 Ruddys and 1 black duck. I think he is hooked. We all did real well. We got all our limits on brant. 2 black ducks. 1 mallard and a total of 17 Ruddys. We also got 6 snows. Man we had a blast. 36 birds. And I was going into the day thinking we were gonna get skunked. Morning started off with us leaving pa at 2am. Driving 3 hours. Getting to bay at 5am to realize it was dead low tide. Didnt know if we would make it out of the ramp. Had to get out and push and walk through mud for a while. Finally made it to our spot 50 min later. Set up got all ready right before light and they slowly started coming in. Great day. Nothin like seeing thousands of snow geese flyin around you and landing outside the decoys. Incredible. We could have shot 100 brant. Those things are everywhere and just kept coming in. Not too many puddle ducks like years before. Used to see hundreds of black ducks. Now only saw like 10 all day. Good luck to every one rest of season. Stay safe.
Attachments
image.jpg
fatalapproach
hunter

Re: Puddle ducks or divers? Answer....... Both.

Postby papageno » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Wow, great day for the newbies.... I'll bet they're hooked.

Sounds more like you went to the diver spot and also shot puddlers and geese. You're obviously coastal, so I don't quite understand why your puddler and diver spot are so far apart... I figured your puddler spot was up the woods somewhere an hour from the coast.
papageno
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 am

Nice shoot guys. Hows the taxidermy going FATAL?

Papa judging by the birds in their bag, I'd bet it is the spot pete hunts alot. Its a puddle duck spot. Tons of ruddies in there. I went there between coastal splits thinking I would see it loaded with pintails but all I saw were ruddy ducks and brant lol.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby fatalapproach » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:21 pm

I haven't done much taxidermy lately. Been too just with work which I guess is a good thing. I started my own construction business and business has been booming. I still get out before work and hunt a creek for an hour or two up here in pa. But there is nothin like coastal with birds flying all day. Love it. Dutch I see you have been shooting gwt. Where you getting them coastal or up at pen state ? I would love to get a nice drake on my wall. All I ever get up here are hens or immature drakes in early season. Then try buzz out when the seasons opens back up.
fatalapproach
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting