Season length

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Season length

Postby RookieJ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:24 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason why the season is set at only being 60 days? Was looking over Canada's regulations and see that their seasons are over 90 days. Wondering if anyone knows when and why it was set at 60 here in the U.S.? :huh:
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Re: Re: Season length

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:30 pm

RookieJ wrote:I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason why the season is set at only being 60 days? Was looking over Canada's regulations and see that their seasons are over 90 days. Wondering if anyone knows when and why it was set at 60 here in the U.S.? :huh:

I live on the St. Lawrence and Canada is literally 1 mile away. Their season starts 15 days before ours and lasts almost a month longer. They hunt the same river as me, within a few hundred yards.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Re: Season length

Postby Goose Doctors » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:17 pm

i wish it was 90.... lucky canucks
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:09 pm

It the U.S.F.W. service that sets the season. I remember 30 day seasons. The States have little to do with it. Contact this guy in the Wis DNR he will get back to you.
James.Christopoulos@wisconsin.gov
War Wagon
hunter

Postby recker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am

It has to do with how many waterfowl are harvested in our flyway. Dont expect to keep seeing 60 day seasons forever. With the drought and if it continues we could easily see a 45 day season soon.
recker
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:04 pm

recker wrote:It has to do with how many waterfowl are harvested in our flyway. Dont expect to keep seeing 60 day seasons forever. With the drought and if it continues we could easily see a 45 day season soon.

That doesn't make any sense. If the harvest numbers go down and duck numbers go up, why in the world would they shorten the season? If anything, I would expect them to be lengthened, just as up in the Canadian Atlantic flyway.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby send the dog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:30 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
recker wrote:It has to do with how many waterfowl are harvested in our flyway. Dont expect to keep seeing 60 day seasons forever. With the drought and if it continues we could easily see a 45 day season soon.

That doesn't make any sense. If the harvest numbers go down and duck numbers go up, why in the world would they shorten the season? If anything, I would expect them to be lengthened, just as up in the Canadian Atlantic flyway.

Numbers? Completely irrelevant when dealing with the gov't. If I'm not mistaken, alot of southern states have a 45 day season and they are always the top 5 states with the most ducks killed. Be thankful that you have 60 days and appreciate every one of them.
send the dog
hunter

Postby DKMF » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:42 pm

I think a split season In wi would be great. Open it the last two weekends in September crap it down for October open it first week of November and close it the second weekend in December. That would take care of the fair weather teal and wood duck pass shooters and it would let the big green heads migrate through during the season. This no migration until season is shut down gets old.
DKMF
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:27 pm

Open the season the first weekend in October. Run it for a week, then shut for one week. I'm so dam tired of seeing the best shooting cut off because we open it up so early in September. It seems to me, we bow :bow: :bow: to the fair weather hunters in Wisconsin. God gave you a pair, now go and use them in cold weather and see how many birds you will harvest. :yes:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby DKMF » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 am

I dislike fair weather hunters! You live in Wisconsin not Florida! Breaking ice is and should be the norm for duck hunters.
DKMF
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting