Help needed geese hunting in Colorado

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Help needed geese hunting in Colorado

Postby vpham44 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:33 pm

I live in Boulder and I'm new to geese hunting. I've been hunting Lonetree and Banner Lakes numerous times without much luck. I have 1 doz shells and 50 rags. Do you have any other suggestions on where to hunt. I would rather hunt fields but most of the SWA are for hunting on the reservoirs. Also where do I start to look into private lease lands?

-Vinh
vpham44
Newb

Re: Help needed geese hunting in Colorado

Postby hockymvp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:18 am

Being somewhat new, I've had the same questions. I'm starting to learn some new tricks around here, and it's paying off. Having said that tips are hard to come by, so here are a couple. Out East seems to be the best so far. If you don't have private land you are going to be stuck on the public spots, which of course is going to take some scouting. I do have to say that this year Bodecker Reservoir out by Loveland might be good. I have a private spot next to it, and there seems to be a lot of birds in the area. Simpson Ponds is doing well too. Just be careful. A lot of bad shooters out there. I've heard some messed up stories about people getting into fights out there, and people hearing shot landing around them. Just expect be around newbies, and take your patience! Wellington SWA has been rumored to be all right. I went last year, and didn't see much. It is East though. Might be better this year. Good luck!
hockymvp
hunter

Postby vpham44 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Hockey. I usually stick to Lonetree but I'll give Bodecker a try here soon.
vpham44
Newb

Postby hockymvp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:11 pm

No problem. I've been hearing Simpson is a little better, but there are more people there. They normally get there super early to get a good spot. Then there are the annoying people out there. May be worth a shot if you really want a bird though. I've done well on Bodecker this year for Ducks. Haven't tried Geese, but I see them flying over there all day. I know you said you would rather not hunt water, but I've been hearing that shells on the ice are working well.
hockymvp
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum