Question for shotgun guru

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Question for shotgun guru

Postby coruptone » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:30 pm

I am restoring a old High Standard shotgun. Now it has a full fixed choke and i was wondering if i should have the barrel punched out to mod ? Or not worry about it and shoot Bistoth or hevi shot classic double's
coruptone
hunter

Re: Question for shotgun guru

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:50 am

It depends on how it patterns with the loads your using at the distance your shooting. If it patterns the way you want it just leave it alone. Tha only way to know for sure it to pattern it and see if it is acceptable for your use.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Ditto!

And be aware that even if the patterns are too tight and there is enough barrel thickness to open it up you still may not want to shoot steel shot due to the potential for barrel damage.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:14 pm

I would definitely go with the hevi shot classic doubles, soft recoil which means the pressure is definitely low. the hevi shot pellets in em rock waterfowls world.
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:38 pm

If it's a 12 gauge those are sturdy well made guns. It was the first pump gun I ever owned. IMO the gun will be much more useful with the choke opened to modified, even if you didn't shoot steel. Keep in mind your full will likely shoot extra full patterns with steel. A modified choke will usually shoot near full patterns with steel. Check with a gunsmith, but you should only have to remove about .010"
to have a modified choke. I see no need to shoot Classic Doubles in that gun.

Good luck with the restoration.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:04 pm

I'd open it up a little. The cost of the job will be made up within the first few boxes of classic doubles you would have bought.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum