Another yotie in the shed

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Another yotie in the shed

Postby phutch30 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:39 pm

So this past week was the annual central MT waterfowl hunt I do with a couple buds every year. Well On the first day the plan was to get going around 11. This gave me a couple hrs to go find a hungry coyote. Stands 1-3 in very productive past spots were duds. While driving around I saw a little sliver of public land on my GPS that had some potential but looked difficult to call. It was a narrow canyon that the wind was quartering up. With time running short I figured I give it a go. I set up as tight to the windward side as I could which was about 300 or so yards from some cliffs that rose to my right. About 8 min into the calling I see a coyote run off the far side of the canyon about 500 yards away and run down into the draw. I was hoping he would just follow the draw down and pop up in front of me at about 100 yards, but after about 10 min I figured he was probably trying to circle downwind. So I hit the female challange bark and he started barking back up in the rocks to my right. Looking the area over I could see a flat shelf at what i figured was a little over 300 yards away. I mentally told myself if I could get it to pop out on the shelf to take a look Id take the shot. Well after about 15 min of back and forth with barks and howls i hit the pup distress and pretty quick saw a set of ears poking over the ledge behind the shelf. I switched to coyote death call and the coyote walked out onto the ledge and looked down towards me. I already had cranked up the scope and figured the dope for the shot, so when he turned broadside I placed the cross hairs about 5" over his back and behind the shoulder and touched off. With the report of the rifle which was quickly followed by the smack of the bullet the coyote flipped off the edge of the shelf and free fell about 35' and then bounced and rolled to the bottom. I dont know why, but it was one of the coolest shots Ive made. Pretty decent coyote for south central MT.

Ended up beinng pretty close on the range estimation. Hit him about 4 inches below the spine. Proving once again that the little 25gr berger in a .17 remington disproves the ole "ya gotta have 400ft/lbs of impact energy to kill a coyote.........course I cant say for sure whether the bullet or the fall killed this one. LOL

....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Another yotie in the shed

Postby montana bound » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Nice Yote and cool story too. :thumbsup:
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Like the story :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby pmahler » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 am

Paul,

This forum is for hunting ducks. I am us there is a redneck tote forum out there whee Nonya & his mule are co-moderators...post there.

O'Doyle rules!
pmahler
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:43 am

Pete, just because you bring no skills to the table beyond picking the best hair jell or which scented soap has the best moisturizing qualities doesn’t mean others on here may not be interested in other goings on.......especially with how slow this forum has been latley.

If you behave, Ill show you how to start my boat this weekend.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby hntndux » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:44 am

Hutch, Thats a cool story and all, but we are still waiting for the Fowl pics and such!!!! did you forget it Duck Season??
hntndux
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:48 am

Ive posted some duck pics. I have actually been slacking this year. I dont think I will hit 100 birds this year. 26 days of elk hunting burned me out of hunting......and used up all my $$$$. I can justify coyote hunting since it pays for itself with a little left over
phutch30
hunter

Postby hntndux » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 am

Looks like fun..Just checking to make sure you havent lost the urge..Rice hunting in Cali has been horrible this year..keep spending more money to get on the X and the ducks dont show??
hntndux
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting