Duck Hunting Forum banner

questions about black cloud

4K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  aclumpkin 
#1 ·
I'm a student so i have a very limited income. I'm just wondering if black cloud is worth the extra 15 bucks more than you pay for federal or other cheaper ammo. any input is appreciated

#4 ·
Winchester Xpert or Kent is all I shoot. I tried the Black Cloud a couple of years ago because I had a few boxes given to me but didn't like them and definitely don't think they are worth the money.

#5 ·
I have a buddy that knows a lot about ballistics, etc. He bought a box to try it out a couple years ago. From what he could tell compared to other steel and other federal loads, he was impressed. His conclusion was that the wad was likely the difference maker. It keeps its form and pulls away from the shot rather than peeling back. The shape of the shot had little impact, if any it was negative. The more round a shot pellet is, the better from a ballistic view point.

Is it worth the money? He decided no. He shot the black clouds one day and I shot cheap winchesters. His response, "Winchesters kill them just as dead."

#6 ·
I shoot black cloud, it is deadly if you have the right choke tube, must pattern to be sure. Bought case on sale last season and did not like until talked to Black cloud tech support and they told me to go back to my factory improved cylinder. Patterned great with that and with aftermarket black cloud choke tube purchased for other gun. If you buy on sale not that much more. Why scrimp on shells? Spend too much hunting to miss the few birds I see with cheap shells.

#10 ·
wahoowilly said:
My gun won't pattern black cloud worth a damn. Big holes.
That is exactly what mine did before I called tech support. Once I switched to the factory improved cylinder as suggested, the pattern improved greatly and have been very pleased with everything except the amount of soot/dirt these shells generate. Have to clean gas ports after every box.

#12 ·
Another good idea is to cut open a shell and take a look at the shot itself. I was amazed at the junk in some shells, the non-uniform pellet sizes, rust, etc. Started out with experts but was having some issues. Switched to black clouds and like them but wouldn't say they are a must. My buddy uses Kent Faststeel and they definetly do the trick just as effective and are more cost effective.

#13 ·
Average Joe said:
My buddy uses Kent Faststeel and they definetly do the trick just as effective and are more cost effective.
He is correct, his buddy does use Kent Fasteel and when he hits a duck, it stays down. Probably one of the best duck shooting guys I have ever seen. Those Fasteel do the trick. 3" #2's Will absolutely :hammer: 'em

#14 ·
i personally shoot black cloud 3" #3's and 4's they pattern awesome out of my mossberg pump. Downside is i do notice that they dirty my gun up pretty bad, just got back from the coast shooting divers and laid em' out with #4's, hardly any cripples due to the fact that they birds were all shot from 15 to 25 yds, while dad and my buddy were shooting winchester #4's and cripplin' em right and left.

#15 ·
I use to think that the regular Winchester Xperts were the way to go, until last year. Finally started getting some solid shooting consistently and didn't fare well with the Xperts. Tried out the Black Clouds and haven't looked back since. For what its worth I'm shooting a Benelli and I don't think theres a more deadly combo than a Benelli and Black Clouds. I shoot 3 1/2" 2's. Buy a box or two and give them a try.

#17 ·
Just remember if shooting black cloud to break down your gun every couple boxes and clean it.

You will be amazed at the amount of black soot/crap they build up.

Can shoot a case of Fiocchi dove shells and they will not dirty up gun like 3 boxes of Black Cloud.

Have shot in Beretta, Winchester SX2, and 870, all needed good cleaning after couple boxes.

#20 ·
When this case is gone, (if ever get to shoot that many times) , I am going to something else. Deadly, but nasty.

#21 ·
wahoowilly said:
Had to boil the trigger assembly to get the crud out.
I have thought about doing this exact thing but do not know if there is the slightest possibility of hurting the trigger assembly, how many times have you done it and what was the outcome

#22 ·
Personally, I didn't like Black Cloud. For me, I just couldn't find a choke tube that patterned well for it. I like Kent and Winchester has always worked well. But I started using Hevi-Metal a couple of years ago (not Hevi Shot) and it has been dead on accurate, regardless of gun or choke tube. And I can get it for basically the same price as the Black Cloud. Fewer cripples, fewer lost birds. That makes me and my dog happy.

#23 ·
steelslinger said:
wahoowilly said:
Had to boil the trigger assembly to get the crud out.
I have thought about doing this exact thing but do not know if there is the slightest possibility of hurting the trigger assembly, how many times have you done it and what was the outcome
I've done it many times over the years with that Winchester pump, and also a couple of Remington 1100's. The outcome was always a clean trigger assembly (be sure to let thoroughly air dry before LIGHTLY lubricating, and reinstalling), and a black ring in the pot. 100% successful. An old time professional skeet shooter showed it to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.