Satellite Mallard Tracking

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Satellite Mallard Tracking

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:35 am

Here's something cool from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission...

"During spring 2004, Arkansas Game and Fish Commission biologists placed satellite transmitters on 28 mallards. These transmitters weigh only 30 grams (less than 10% of a duck's body weight), and are designed to fit as a backpack. They communicate with satellites in orbit around the earth to determine their locations. The ability to communicate with satellites also allows AGFC to collect data without recapturing the animal. The transmitter only becomes active for a short period of time every two to four days. During the active period it collects as many locations as possible within the pre-programmed time frame. The acquired locations are then sent to the AGFC, where the duck's progress is mapped using Geographical Information System (GIS)."

I've been watching this for a couple of weeks and it's a lot of fun seeing how the ducks are moving with the weather changes North of us!
Just click on the link below to read more about the program and enter your email address and zip code to view the Satellite map. :smile:
http://vestig.cast.uark.edu/website/waterfowl/
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:06 am

I posted this under the puddle duck forum. :withstupid: I was coming in here to tell you guys and I see you alread did whiteriverguy. I apologize.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Arknsawdave » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:45 am

I've too been watching the ducks head south on that web-site. If you were
having trouble with the zoom feature I think it is up and running smoothly
now! I like how they give you each ducks GPS coordinates. I took the GPS coordinates from "Tracy" the susie showing on the web-site as being in Arkansas (on 12-03-04) and entered them in the space provided on the web-site called TerraServer (the microsoft version). It showed Tracy 40 miles due west from one of my duck blinds !!! HOW COOL IS THAT.

I hope the ducks fill the sky for each and everyone of you this season.
remember that each and everyone of us ARE the reason will still have a
season. Take your fair share and PLEASE let one slide for the little dude that will want to hunt with papa some day !!!
Arknsawdave
Newb

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting