Shell Limits

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Re: Shell Limits

Postby A5Mag12 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 am

AaronR wrote: My guess is since you say you have killed plenty of ducks that you are young and from NW La. Correct me if I am wrong.

Not real bright are you. My age is clearly posted on this and every other site I visit. I'll give you a hint , this is my 47th season hunting ducks. And if you are stupid enough to set up too close to me you will not have a good hunt. Respect proper distance and all will be well. Puff up on the internet about what new rules you or any other self anointed duck God thinks need implemented and I will gig um like a frog every time and watch the show.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby dog walker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 am

Just wait when the drought knocks down the duck population,and it will it always happens. When they drop the limits back down to nearly nothing and shut down teal season you'll have all the birds to yourself. There will hardly be a soul out there after opening weekend.
dog walker
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 am

A5Mag12 wrote:
AaronR wrote: My guess is since you say you have killed plenty of ducks that you are young and from NW La. Correct me if I am wrong.

Not real bright are you. My age is clearly posted on this and every other site I visit. I'll give you a hint , this is my 47th season hunting ducks. And if you are stupid enough to set up too close to me you will not have a good hunt. Respect proper distance and all will be well. Puff up on the internet about what new rules you or any other self anointed duck God thinks need implemented and I will gig um like a frog every time and watch the show.

I personally dont set up on top of people. I have the respect and knowledge to find another spot because I scout and have several spots in the area for that reason. You spoke of respect? A man of atleast 47 years of age should be one to show sportmanship not get on here braggin about how you are going to ruin every hunters hunt the sets up near you. Seems childish to me...The point is that you in particular got on ranting about ruining a hunt for another hunter, not only is this against the law as seen in another thread, it is unsportsmanlike and just plain stupid. My guess is you hunt Wallace Lake or White House as I metioned before? And as those are public waters, my post clearly stated for regs on WMA and NWR grounds so it would not apply to you.

Just because you have been hunting for 47 years doesnt make you superior to the rest of the hunters in this state.

We are blessed in LA and with great public land opportunities and its people who go out intending to ruin hunts and shoot crows and what not that give us a bad name.

dog walker wrote:Just wait when the drought knocks down the duck population,and it will it always happens. When they drop the limits back down to nearly nothing and shut down teal season you'll have all the birds to yourself. There will hardly be a soul out there after opening weekend.

Agreed..it will happen..So why not respect what we have now and act like adults in the field and show some sportmanship? I personally enjoy my time on the water no matter what becasue I would rather be there than work!
AaronR
hunter

Postby duck_pirate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:35 pm

A5Mag12 wrote: Heck I've killed enough ducks in my life that sometimes it's much more fun to screw with all the self righteous a holes that think their way is the only right way to hunt a duck. .

What a great representative in the world of duck hunting. People like this are the ones that make State Representatives, want to get rid of hunting on public land.
duck_pirate
hunter

Postby Toledo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 pm

So the question is, how would we go about getting this actually examined by the foks that could make it happen.

Larry, if you are following, any thoughts?
Toledo
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 pm

Toledo wrote:So the question is, how would we go about getting this actually examined by the foks that could make it happen.

No idea, but this has to be on someones meeting agenda seeing how well it works in other state.
AaronR
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:15 pm

AaronR wrote:
A5Mag12 wrote:Not for it at all. If someone wants to haul a case or two out every day it's fine with me. I like to at least take enough with me that when someone sets up too close to me I can shoot enough to ruin their hunt too. Heck I've killed enough ducks in my life that sometimes it's much more fun to screw with all the self righteous a holes that think their way is the only right way to hunt a duck.

Most of you spook more ducks with your calling than two or three guys shooting crows and black birds do.

This is a prime example of why we need more restrcitions on certain public grounds. Anyone who purposely aims to ruin another hunters day should be banned from that area. You sir are one that gives duck hunters a bad rep and al of us REAL hunters hate hunters like you. Why would you sacrifice a day on the water to ruin another mans hunt? My guess is since you say you have killed plenty of ducks that you are young and from NW La. Correct me if I am wrong.

rebelp74 wrote:Not wma's and nwr's but all public land. I got several spots on a couple lakes and the red river here, and it's getting out of control.

This is a whole different animal. Public lakes and rivers have statewide regs to my knowledge and they will not ever enforce a shell limit, period. Blinds, lets not even go there...This thread will end up locked just as all of the others when NW La boys get to fighting over White House and Wallace Lake..

One of those blinds in the white house thats been there for a littel over 10yrs is one of mine. I don't have many problems going south since they have closed clark's, most of my problems with people in or around my blinds are aound the port lake where the newer lauch is. It would be nice if they did like cross lake where they limit the amount of and make folks register their blinds
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Toledo wrote:So the question is, how would we go about getting this actually examined by the foks that could make it happen.

I've never seen a controlled evaluation of whether shell limits actually work to reduce skybusting or non-target shooting under realistic field conditions. I personally think shell limits are a good idea within a level that allows for some poor wingshooting (like a 25-shell limit).

But the key is always enforcement.

Do you believe there is adequate enforcement of shooting hours? Use of lead shot? Double tripping? Safe hunter separation? Bag limits? Shooting of non-target species? If not, how can we expect enforcement of something like a shell limit that can't be determined without knowing how many shells a person started with and/or how many they have fired?

Those are my initial thoughts.

To have your concerns considered by the people that could make it happen, simply contact the Commission members with a petition from a large number of like-minded hunters and a proposal that includes justification and recommended actions. Their contact information can be found at: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/louisiana- ... sheries-co

They will almost certainly pass it on to the Wildlife and Enforcement Divisions for comment and action.
Lreynolds
hunter

Shell Limits

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Larry I do agree with you on the enforcement issue. I really think this is something that can be enforced and is enforced in other states. There will always be those guys who seek out to break the law and the way to break them is to have GWs in the field. I have been checked numerous times in Ark before my hunt and after. They checked me for shells every time before the hunt and then checked vehicles after the hunt. Enough to keep me from breaking the law right there. 25 shells is plenty to hunt with on any NWR or WMA I hunt in La.
AaronR
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 pm

AaronR wrote: I have been checked numerous times in Ark before my hunt and after. They checked me for shells every time before the hunt and then checked vehicles after the hunt. Enough to keep me from breaking the law right there. 25 shells is plenty to hunt with on any NWR or WMA I hunt in La.

Since you have hunted on WMAs in LA, how many times you have been checked there, or experienced law enforcement presence that discouraged you from breaking laws or acting poorly? I can say that I was checked regularly when area biologist and technicians had enforcement authority on WMAs. I've been checked very seldom since then, and never in the field.

You are correct, any law CAN be enforced ..... but how ARE existing laws being enforced and thus, how you would expect shell limits to be enforced given that? When I lived/hunted in California, shell limits were implemented on public hunting areas. Access points were limited, hunter numbers were controlled, and the number of shells I carried was checked regularly as I entered the hunting area. That is a very different situation than Louisiana WMAs.

This evening, I was informed that the issue of shell limits was brought up at an LDWF meeting to consider changes to hunting regulations for the upcoming season. Observations of some of our employees while hunting on WMAs over the past 2-3 weeks suggest that some action needs to be taken. One example was early and excessive shooting at passing wood ducks without chasing cripples or retrieving birds to the point that one of our guys (with a dog) picked up 18 crippled and dead wood ducks over 2 hunts and then collected hulls from the water and photographed them. Would shell limits be effective at stopping this when shooting hours and wanton waste laws already on the books did not?

Is the enacting of another law a better solution than more effective enforcement of existing laws?

That is a sincere question. I've already expressed my support for a 25-shell limit but also my uncertainty about it's effects.

It is my opinion that shell limits did not get much traction at the meeting (I was not present), but it's clear that people are thinking about it.
Last edited by Lreynolds on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:50 pm

I get checked all the time on Loggy Bayou WMA
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby duck_pirate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Lreynolds wrote:Since you have hunted on WMAs in LA, tell us how many times you have been checked there, or experienced law enforcement presence that discouraged you from breaking laws or acting a fool? I can say that I was checked regularly when area biologist and technicians had enforcement authority on WMAs. I've been checked very seldom since then, and never in the field.

I am sure it is very different throughout the state's WMA's, but if good amount of ducks are present where I hunt it's about a 75% or greater chance that you will get check and will most likely always see one or two game wardens. If there was a shell limit I really don't see it being a problem forcing the law at Russel Sage just because of the way it is set up.
duck_pirate
hunter

Postby tb44 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:58 am

25 shell limit would be huge! would love to see it done on all North Louisiana WMA & NWR for sure.
tb44
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 am

duck_pirate wrote:
Lreynolds wrote:Since you have hunted on WMAs in LA, tell us how many times you have been checked there, or experienced law enforcement presence that discouraged you from breaking laws or acting a fool? I can say that I was checked regularly when area biologist and technicians had enforcement authority on WMAs. I've been checked very seldom since then, and never in the field.

I am sure it is very different throughout the state's WMA's, but if good amount of ducks are present where I hunt it's about a 75% or greater chance that you will get check and will most likely always see one or two game wardens. If there was a shell limit I really don't see it being a problem forcing the law at Russel Sage just because of the way it is set up.

I have hunted almost 30 days this year and have seen a GW ONE TIME after a hunt last weekend. Guys were very professional and checked everything as they should and were actually writing 2 other groups tickets while I waited. But you do make very valid points Larry, how can we expect them to enforce a new law when they cannot (or dont) enforce the current ones. Me personally, I follow the rules wherever I am because I love to duck hunt and do not feel that it something I am willing to risk.

Maybe the GWs could have some kind of sting operation each year where they actaully develop a plan to get out in the field and enforce some of these laws? Get out there and witness people breaking the laws and people doing the right thing. I think they would be suprised at the number of hunters who actually do follow the rules, but the ones that dont give us all a bad reputation.
AaronR
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:08 am

I was curious about enforcement and the number of Warden's assigned to a region so i started digging. I'm not sure that the number of agents is accurate but the region info comes from the LDWF website.

I found this.... "the agency employs over 200 Wildlife Agents". There are currently 8 reigons and the main office in Baton Rouge. Using 200 as the base number that would put 25 Wardens per region? This is a big factor when it comes to enforcement and i doubt that the number of agents per region is that high?

Region 1 Minden Office (Caddo, Bossier, Webster, Claiborne, Bienville, Red River and Desoto parishes): 318-371-3049

Region 2 Monroe Office (Lincoln, Union, Morehouse, West Carroll, East Carroll, Jackson, Ouachita, Richland, Madison, Caldwell, Franklin and Tensas parishes): 318-362-3102

Region 3 Pineville Office (Sabine, Natchitoches, Winn, LaSalle, Catahoula, Concordia, Avoyelles, Rapides, Grant and Vernon parishes): 318-487-5634

Region 4 Opelousas Office (Saint Landry, Pointe Coupee, West Baton Rouge, Iberville, Saint Martin, Iberia and Lafayette parishes): 337-948-0257

Region 5 Lake Charles Office (Beauregard, Allen, Evangeline, Calcasieu, Jefferson Davis, Acadia, Cameron and Vermilion parishes): 337-491-2580

Region 6 Thibodaux Office (Saint Mary, Lower Saint Martin, Assumption, Saint James, Saint John, Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes): 985-447-0821

Region 7 Baton Rouge Office (West Feliciana, East Feliciana, Saint Helena, Tangipahoa, Washington, Saint Tammany, Livingston, Ascension and East Baton Rouge parishes): 225-765-2999

Region 8 New Orleans Office (Saint Charles, Jefferson, Orleans, Saint Bernard and Plaquemines parishes): 504-284-2023

Headquarters Baton Rouge Office: 225-765-2989
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:30 am

So a guy takes 25 shells today and only shoots 10 of them and hides the other 15 and has 40 tomorrow. Or 5 guys each haul in a box with plenty of spares left in the truck and as the group shoots 25 shells they each take turns going back to the truck for more shells.

If a shell limit was implemented the state would need at least 5 times the wardens to even begin enforcement. Where's the money going to come from? Are you ready for a $500.00 state duck stamp?

If you want to help duck hunting in La. then start pushing the state for a complete salvinia eradication program. That is the biggest threat to duck hunting this state has ever seen. Would you rather have 5 guys with 125 shells in a blind almost too close to you or would you rather they still be where they were with 500 shells before the salvinia choked them out?

What I am saying is, if you are going to get yourself worked up over something then do it over something that is a real problem.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 am

A5Mag12 wrote:So a guy takes 25 shells today and only shoots 10 of them and hides the other 15 and has 40 tomorrow. Or 5 guys each haul in a box with plenty of spares left in the truck and as the group shoots 25 shells they each take turns going back to the truck for more shells.

If a shell limit was implemented the state would need at least 5 times the wardens to even begin enforcement. Where's the money going to come from? Are you ready for a $500.00 state duck stamp?

If you want to help duck hunting in La. then start pushing the state for a complete salvinia eradication program. That is the biggest threat to duck hunting this state has ever seen. Would you rather have 5 guys with 125 shells in a blind almost too close to you or would you rather they still be where they were with 500 shells before the salvinia choked them out?

What I am saying is, if you are going to get yourself worked up over something then do it over something that is a real problem.

Grass is not a problem except in YOUR part of the state. Obviously you only hunt there in YOUR spots you have owned for 100 years and what not on those public lakes. And ONE AGAIN as stated before we are talking about WMAs and NWRs. NOT your duck heaven Wallace Lake or Bistinea or the Red River.

And having shells in your truck would be part of the regs as in ark. If you read in to how other states operate, the regs so you can only posses 25 or 15 shells dependings on where you are and that includes your vehicle at the ramp. And yes I have had them look in my vehicle and watched them write tickets for shells in a persons vehicles. People like you are ruining the sport. You set out to act a certain way no matter what and purposely break the law.

Basically what you are saying is that you want season to start 2 weeks earlier and end 2 weeks later in the West Zone, that no one can hunt anywhere close to any of your private blinds on public water, and that you reserve the right to be superior to everyone on the water becasue we all owe you something due to your 47 years of experience in NW La. Your argument is on an entirely different topic than this thread is discussing. Do us all a favor and start a new thread and we can argue about this mess over there.

@Comeaux: I seriously doubt there are 25 GW in the Monroe region and even less in the Minden region. I could be completely wrong but I wonder what the true number per region is.
AaronR
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 am

I don't have a permanent blind and never have .My blind is where ever I park my boat. If it were up to me there would be a $1000.00 fine for setting foot in a blind that don't leave the lake with you and all decoys had to be set out inside 30 minutes starting 1 hour before legal shooting time and must be picked up within 30 minutes after legal .

And the salvinia is everyones problem. Where the hell do you think all the new hunters are coming from?
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:05 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:I don't have a permanent blind and never have .My blind is where ever I park my boat. If it were up to me there would be a $1000.00 fine for setting foot in a blind that don't leave the lake with you and all decoys had to be set out inside 30 minutes starting 1 hour before legal shooting time and must be picked up within 30 minutes after legal .

I must admit I agree with you 100% on this.

A5Mag12 wrote:And the salvinia is everyones problem. Where the hell do you think all the new hunters are coming from?

This however is just 100% untrue. I have not seen any of this aywhere I hunt in La or Ark. Just dont see it.

And please do tell where all of these new hunters are coming from...you make it sound as if they are being hatched in the grass somewhere???
AaronR
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 pm

I blame duck dynasty for most of the new hunters. They all have beards, too much face paint, and duck commander calls. None of em know *** they are doing either.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby dog walker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:And the salvinia is everyones problem. Where the hell do you think all the new hunters are coming from?

This however is just 100% untrue. I have not seen any of this aywhere I hunt in La or Ark. Just dont see it.

And please do tell where all of these new hunters are coming from...you make it sound as if they are being hatched in the grass somewhere???[/quote]

Wow seriously? I don't hunt NW La but I've been up there and seen it first hand. There is a guy who post here occasionally Poker1 and he can show you picks of his area completely choked with it. It's also not just an issue up there either.
dog walker
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 pm

This is taken right in the middle of what should be the deepest part of clear lake's north end. And the water level is at normal depth in this pic. It's in every lake in NW La. Lake after lake with no open water = no ducks=hunters looking elsewhere.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby AaronR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:25 pm

dog walker wrote:

And please do tell where all of these new hunters are coming from...you make it sound as if they are being hatched in the grass somewhere???

Wow seriously? I don't hunt NW La but I've been up there and seen it first hand. There is a guy who post here occasionally Poker1 and he can show you picks of his area completely choked with it. It's also not just an issue up there either.[/quote]

So this grass is a problem where you hunt? And yes I have seen it with my own eyes but not state wide. There are more places that this grass is NOT a problem to duck hunters than places where it is.

And once again we are talking about a local lake issue, not a State WMA or Federal NWR issue.
AaronR
hunter

Postby dog walker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:10 pm

The wma I hunt the most doesn't have the problem and never will but there are the WMA's in the lake Maurepas area that have the problem. Now those aren't private lakes are they? That area is nothing compared to what it was 30 years ago due to what, invasive aquatic species.

Re: Maurepas Swamp Wildlife Management Area
by Lreynolds » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:00 pm

jcrowder0207 wrote:
All this work is great but what about OUR local WMA's, why don't they recieve the same attention?

Are you referring to Maurepas Swamp, Joyce, Manchac, and Salvador when you say "our local WMAs"? If so, they don't receive as much management attention because there isn't much that we can do on those areas short of MAJOR replumbing to restore historical water regimes. We've been working on a project to solidify the breakwaters at Manchac to stabilize the Prairie, but the major issues at Joyce and Maurepas are water management and invasive aquatics.
dog walker
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:31 pm

AaronR wrote:
dog walker wrote:

Wow seriously? I don't hunt NW La but I've been up there and seen it first hand. There is a guy who post here occasionally Poker1 and he can show you picks of his area completely choked with it. It's also not just an issue up there either.

So this grass is a problem where you hunt? And yes I have seen it with my own eyes but not state wide. There are more places that this grass is NOT a problem to duck hunters than places where it is.

And once again we are talking about a local lake issue, not a State WMA or Federal NWR issue.[/quote]

I bet you have a hell of a time keeping the sand out of your ears.
A5Mag12
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting