Boat Registration

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Boat Registration

Postby luie b » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm looking into buying a small duck/fishing rig that's like a kayak but fatter like a canoe, it's kinda hard to explain but anyway I've looked into what it would take to register and it from what I can see would fall into the kayak/canoe category for registration but my question is how long does it take to get the boat registered? I'm wanting to order it and have it registered by spring thaw if I can.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Re: Boat Registration

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:26 pm

luie b wrote:I'm looking into buying a small duck/fishing rig that's like a kayak but fatter like a canoe, it's kinda hard to explain but anyway I've looked into what it would take to register and it from what I can see would fall into the kayak/canoe category for registration but my question is how long does it take to get the boat registered? I'm wanting to order it and have it registered by spring thaw if I can.

Believe it or not the DNR is usually pretty timely about boat registration. If you do it on line you should be able to boat using the paper application until the sticker and registration arrive.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby USMC03-07 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:31 pm

All you have do to is go to DNR's site and print off transfer paper, fill it out, make a copy for yourself and send one to DNR with the payment that applies. This is for used boat private party transfer that already had numbers. DNR says that copy is good for a year (+ or -) as you wait for your paper work. I sent my info in to DNR in the spring this year and still haven't received my title back. They posted on their site that they are EXTREMELY behind. Not sure about new kayak w/o numbers or other circumstances. If it is from a dealer they should take care of all of it. GOOD LUCK
USMC03-07
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Hard to believe government in Illinois be timely about anything.lol Thanks for the info. guys I think I might order my boat within the next week. Only thing is shipping's gonna end up costing me more than I thought...
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby John Q Public » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:16 am

I'm no expert on this but I called the DNR in December to ask questions about registering a canoe. I was told that registering a canoe was not going to be necessary after the first of the year, as there was some new provision for boats that are paddled. She indicated even if I sent a registration form in, it would be returned with details regarding the new rules. I think you should check with the state, as this is seems to be new this year and I had not heard a thing about it until I called the state.

If you find out more, please update us.
John Q Public
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting