Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hunting open water on a flat without a boat...

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  troutman561 
#1 ·
Hey guys, this is my 3rd season duck hunting. I have really only hunted puddle ducks but have shot some divers that have decoyed up to my spreads. Now that I live in the Tampa Bay area, the only consistent duck numbers I have found have been in the bay. Now, the blue bills like sitting in open water as you all know, and they typically sit at the edges of these flats I have in mind. I have a skiff to get me there, but they are not going to the decoys with a 16ft white hulled boat sitting 30yds away. Im new to strictly diver hunting so I figured I would ask. I was thinking of setting up a large spread of deeks, and then setting up a chair and myself covered in brush in knee to waist deep water. I don't think these particular birds are hunted hard, but will they decoy to me? I know an "island" of brush isn't too uncommon in the salt but if anyone has any pointers, I'm all ears. Thanks.

#4 ·
Yes it will work. Set yourself up a little makeshift blind using some brush or even some camo material. I used to hunt a few places just like you describe and I had a portable blind that I built out of aluminum conduit and some camo netting.

#8 ·
Seagull said:
i hunt out of a white center console fishing boat covered with camo netting for bluebills,and we have been smoking them on the chessie!
Divers don't really care, they ain't the smartest. I've had groups come in shoot some out of it, call at em, and they turn around and come right back.

#9 ·
Throw some camonbulap over your gunnels to start. And decoys can he set all the way upnto the boat. Ive had birds land three feetnfrom the boat as long as your sittingnstill. Up here on the Chesapeake the divers song seem to mind the white oj the boats..as long as its broken up with burlap r ceded branches

#10 ·
Get yourself an old parachute from a surplus store and use it to cover your boat and hunt layout style from the skiff. A buddy used one for years to hide his boat with excellent results...and they are cheap.

#11 ·
Like alot of the others said, you'd be suprised how well you can get the divers to decoy close to your boat. with the decoys around, the divers think the boat isn't a threat and should come right in. just throw a net or something over to mask a little bit of your movement in the boat and you should be fine. if not, your original idea sounds like a good idea also. if the sand bar is sticking out of the water you could also try a layout blind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.