Hunting open water on a flat without a boat...

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Postby troutman561 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Hey guys, this is my 3rd season duck hunting. I have really only hunted puddle ducks but have shot some divers that have decoyed up to my spreads. Now that I live in the Tampa Bay area, the only consistent duck numbers I have found have been in the bay. Now, the blue bills like sitting in open water as you all know, and they typically sit at the edges of these flats I have in mind. I have a skiff to get me there, but they are not going to the decoys with a 16ft white hulled boat sitting 30yds away. Im new to strictly diver hunting so I figured I would ask. I was thinking of setting up a large spread of deeks, and then setting up a chair and myself covered in brush in knee to waist deep water. I don't think these particular birds are hunted hard, but will they decoy to me? I know an "island" of brush isn't too uncommon in the salt but if anyone has any pointers, I'm all ears. Thanks.
troutman561
hunter

Re: Hunting open water on a flat without a boat...

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:21 pm

sounds like your pretty much on track, give it a try and see how it goes.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Sounds like fun! Give it a try!
2014 season
Duck- 42
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:35 am

Yes it will work. Set yourself up a little makeshift blind using some brush or even some camo material. I used to hunt a few places just like you describe and I had a portable blind that I built out of aluminum conduit and some camo netting.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:45 am

Cool. Thanks guys. I typically try to set up my decoys at 25yds and use an IC choke. Would it be helpful to set up a little further? Or would it not really make a difference other than longer shots.
troutman561
hunter

Postby timbertime » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 pm

I use a dove blind and cane to cover me from behind. I hunt two men and dog this way with no problem.
timbertime
hunter

Postby Seagull » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:05 pm

i hunt out of a white center console fishing boat covered with camo netting for bluebills,and we have been smoking them on the chessie!
Seagull
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Seagull wrote:i hunt out of a white center console fishing boat covered with camo netting for bluebills,and we have been smoking them on the chessie!

Divers don't really care, they ain't the smartest. I've had groups come in shoot some out of it, call at em, and they turn around and come right back.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby SMDGUNNER » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Throw some camonbulap over your gunnels to start. And decoys can he set all the way upnto the boat. Ive had birds land three feetnfrom the boat as long as your sittingnstill. Up here on the Chesapeake the divers song seem to mind the white oj the boats..as long as its broken up with burlap r ceded branches
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:26 am

Get yourself an old parachute from a surplus store and use it to cover your boat and hunt layout style from the skiff. A buddy used one for years to hide his boat with excellent results...and they are cheap.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby jeepman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 am

Like alot of the others said, you'd be suprised how well you can get the divers to decoy close to your boat. with the decoys around, the divers think the boat isn't a threat and should come right in. just throw a net or something over to mask a little bit of your movement in the boat and you should be fine. if not, your original idea sounds like a good idea also. if the sand bar is sticking out of the water you could also try a layout blind.
jeepman
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks guys. Next time around I will try it out of the boat. Cant shoot any less birds than I did on the flat :sad: :lol3: .
troutman561
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting