smoked duck recipe

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

smoked duck recipe

Postby miked412 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 am

i am looking for a good recipe for smoked duck in a smoker. any ideas?
miked412
Newb

Re: smoked duck recipe

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 am

Electric or wood smoker? Whole or breasts? I love smoking birds and the way I do it is with whole plucked birds. Usually bigger birds, but so far this year all I have had to work with is wood ducks and scaup, which are still great. All I do is pat dry, cover in dry rub of choice (I use Jacks dry rub) with skin on and make sure to pull skin partly away from meat to get seasoning on the breasts. I use an electric smoker with maple wood chips and set the temp between 250-300 and takes an hour or so. Slower and lower is always better. I also put some beer in the wood chips as well. If the skin doesnt have too many feathers in it then Ill eat with it on, has good flavor. Ive also done breasts stuffed with cream cheese with no marinade just dry rub and they have also turned out great on the smoker. Just dont over cook and you will be golden. Better than grilling IMO.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:51 am

Posted this in the smoke goose topic, but here you go.

This is one that I use for ducks and geese, it is delicious. Since goose breasts are thick and I smoke them with ducks, I cut them in half so they are not as thick.

1 heaping table spoon kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp whole peppercorn
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground mace
1/4 tsp ground corander

combined all in mincer and mince.

Add to 1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup madeira (Port wine) - different port wines will effect the taste, find a good port wine.
1 1/2 cup water

*edit* I let the meat sit in this mixture for 24 hours.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:42 pm

MacAttack wrote:Posted this in the smoke goose topic, but here you go.

This is one that I use for ducks and geese, it is delicious. Since goose breasts are thick and I smoke them with ducks, I cut them in half so they are not as thick.

1 heaping table spoon kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp whole peppercorn
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground mace
1/4 tsp ground corander

combined all in mincer and mince.

Add to 1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup madeira (Port wine) - different port wines will effect the taste, find a good port wine.
1 1/2 cup water

*edit* I let the meat sit in this mixture for 24 hours.

OK, are you smoking this or just cooking it with smoke for flavor? If we are still trying to keep the meat rare to medium, then I presume we are cooking with smoke? I like the ingredients as why I am so interested, want to try it this weekend! Thanks.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Smoking it
MacAttack
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking