Wading with Gators

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Wading with Gators

Postby FreedomHunter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 am

Okay so I want to know if you guys wade in the water when duck hunting. It seems that I really could benefit from wading since my boat is a flats boat for Mosquito Lagoon and I hunt public land, so getting to some good spots requires a boat to do so or walking in. My problem is alligators. I surfed New Smyrna Beach inlet since I was a kid and never was to concerned about sharks, so maybe its me getting older or more wise. I'am just looking for some input on this topic while wading and the best ways to go about it. I know as it gets colder the alligators go more dormant, but still getting chopped by a big gator seems like work would be more fun.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Re: Wading with Gators

Postby BigBend » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 am

Your fine. I'm more worried about moccasins during teal season than gators.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby Ichabod97 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Yeah they normally move off once you start making noise in the water. Still seeing gators moving around this past week up here in N. Fl. Kinda surprised me...but didn't have any issues with them.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Yep, do it all the time. I rarely wear waders during early teal season...this year I just waded barefoot because my crocs kept getting sucked off my feet in the muck. I was more worried about stepping on a nail in an old blind frame or broken bottle than I was a gator getting me. Once the weather cools, I don't even think about them. They're always there, and I you'll still see them from time to time, but it's usually during the middle of the day when they're out sunning to regain body heat.That being said, you'll never catch me swimming laps around any of the areas I hunt...
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Wading with Gators

Postby chris_k » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Ive had em at arms reach length while wading several times and never did me no harm. Even kicked one underwater. They are more scared of you than you of them.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Never once had an issue. Not that I expected one as they get scarce when it gets cold.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Ichabod97 wrote:Yeah they normally move off once you start making noise in the water. Still seeing gators moving around this past week up here in N. Fl. Kinda surprised me...but didn't have any issues with them.

When that rain came through yesterday I went out and saw three in an area that I havent seen any since early season. Kinda surprised me when I saw them sitting in the area I planned to hunt. Guess that short burst of warmer weather got them moving a little bit.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby FreedomHunter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Well first time wading today and once you get past the first 30 min or so seems to get easier. Now if I could only avoid all the freakin boats with rude people behind the wheel. Anyways, it was not to bad!
FreedomHunter
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting