Need Advice

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Need Advice

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:22 pm

I have a sandbar located that about 500-1000 geese have been using for the past several weeks. At about 8:00 they begin flying out in groups of 25. The entire day flocks of about that amount are flying both in and out. I have watched closely and have never seen a time where there weren't geese on the sand bar. Should I go in before light, get to the X and set up? Or should I wait for some of them to fly out before moving in and setting up. No matter when I go in i'll be kicking birds off the sand bar in order to set up. What I want to do is go in before sun up but is that the smartest decision?

Thanks for your help,

Ecat
EcatMagoo
hunter

Re: Need Advice

Postby Quakerattacker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Here is what I would do. I would wait for when you think the most birds have left. Then go set-up. I would then not set there all day even if you do not limit. Get out of there an hour before shooting time. I hunted a roost 15 years ago when I didn't know better. I kicked them off, they left we shot a few and then at sunrise they came back and we limited out. We just left our decoys so we could get the hell out of there and then we went back the next day and kicked them off. We killed 2 the next day and they never came back. I think if we had waited for some to leave at least there would be some that didn't get blasted at and want to come back in. It was a mistake as I had never had the opportunity to hunt a roost before and just couldn't pass it up. I would do it a lot differently now that I know. You probably know this but if you could find the field they are going you would have better luck and they for sure would stick around. I know sometimes you just cannot get permission where they go and its always fun to smack geese over water. Good luck and let me know how the hunt goes.
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby burns_312 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:30 pm

I would try my damnedest to find the field they were using to feed, but if you must hunt the roost, I'd go in before dark, bump them off and not shoot into big groups. Pick and choose your shots, get out, and hunt it multiple times.
burns_312
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:05 pm

At the last second we decided to leave them alone and head down to the SE zone to chase ducks. We ended up with 4 gaddies, 3 gwt, and two hooded mergs.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting