Question about south jersey ducks

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Question about south jersey ducks

Postby PADuck » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:32 am

Has anyone ever shot or heard of people shooting mottled ducks. My buddy shot a duck we thought was a black but the speculum is blue and it has a small white strip at the top and bottom of it. When looking at pictures a mottled duck looks exactly like the one he shot
PADuck
hunter

Re: Question about south jersey ducks

Postby Gil.F » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:23 pm

it's a posability , but we have killed blackducks with white in there wings , i call them locals your canidian red leggers wont have the white got any pic's ???
Gil.F
hunter

Postby PADuck » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Did some more research and its not a mottled I am pretty sure it's a
Hybrid mallard black. A true black wont have any white in the speculum
PADuck
hunter

Postby papageno » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Correct PA - hybrid, I believe it counts toward the mallard limit (definitely not the blackie limit). I've been looking at the Maine forum, and they shoot them frequently up in New England.
papageno
hunter

Postby DrakeH2oFowl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Mottled ducks are a southeastern/gulf specie year-round. They're typically down in Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Miss, etc. Sounds to me it was a hybrid AMBD x MALL. If one WAS to be shot up this way, it'd definitely be a vagrant & unlikely IMO. It's tough to say though because most hunters wouldn't be able to tell the difference, considering most have issues ID'ing ducks as it is. :no:
DrakeH2oFowl
hunter

Postby PAwingshooter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:14 pm

I'm not a duck expert, or anything even close to an expert. I shot this yesterday and immediately noticed a little bit of white on the wings, which I don't remember on the other black ducks I shot in a different spot. Is this normal, or do you think this might be a hybrid? Notice a slight bit of green in the head.
Attachments
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1483.jpg
PAwingshooter
hunter

Postby papageno » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Hybrid... consider it a bonus bird, you can continue shooting at black ducks (as long as the game warden is educated enough to figure it out).
papageno
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 pm

WHITE on the top of the speculum indicates that it is not a pure black duck. Pure black ducks can have white on the bottom of the speculum. Pawingshooter that is a Black duck/mallard hybrid, being black duck dominant in the picture.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby FOWLGAL » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Dutch,

If that is being black duck dominant in the picture would that then count as your black duck or would you be able to count as a mallard??
FOWLGAL
hunter

Postby dirtyj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:05 pm

It just counts as a "duck" toward your 6 duck limit. Does not go against black duck or mallard limit.
dirtyj
hunter

Postby PADuck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:51 pm

I have shot hybrids before but this one my buddy shot doesn't have any green in the head and the bill looks to be a drake all yellowish green. I said its a hen black/ hybrid from my knowledge and its nearly impossible to tell mottled from blacks from Mexican mallards if you don't shoot all of them. If you look at a picture of a Mexican mallard my buddy's duck looks exactly like it but if you ask me I would say that would be impossible
PADuck
hunter

Postby DrakeH2oFowl » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:57 pm

dirtyj wrote:It just counts as a "duck" toward your 6 duck limit. Does not go against black duck or mallard limit.

:huh:
DrakeH2oFowl
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 am

Shot one few wks back at dividing ck. My buddy thought from pict was a black but i said same thing hybrid with all the white in wings and the it had alot of hen mallard coloring. Orange in the bill, lighter tan coloring in the body ect but did have some blaxk duck resemblane as well. To me went as a hen mallard
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
FowlHooked
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting