2013 season

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

2013 season

Postby diesel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:23 am

Im looking to come to SD IN 2013 duck season freelancing. Looking for some helpful info on where to start. Such as the best counties, and whether its best to go north east or stay further south. Never been so any info would help.
Thanks
diesel
Newb

Re: 2013 season

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:13 am

Anywhere from the james river east. Late october-early november otherwise you flirt with freeze-up, concentrated birds on remaining open water, concentrated hunting pressure, and deer season. As far as specific counties, you can drive from the southern sd border to the northern border in 4 hours, so wait to decide until early fall at least. We're in a transition right now...drought has made a lot of temporary water and habitat disappear, so if you were forced to pin down a location, look for abundance of permanent water.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby diesel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks for the info. Is it pretty hard to get permission to hunt private lands? Hoping to do some dry field hunting as well if thats possible. And as far as license is it still a draw thing or are they pretty easy to get for non resident.
diesel
Newb

Postby go get the bird » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:49 pm

diesel wrote:Thanks for the info. Is it pretty hard to get permission to hunt private lands? Hoping to do some dry field hunting as well if thats possible. And as far as license is it still a draw thing or are they pretty easy to get for non resident.

It's still a lottery draw for out-of-staters.

As far as getting permission, it's not hard, but you have to put the miles on. Bring booze and jerky, that wins people over. A county plot book is very useful in locating peoples homes, and their property.

To give you an idea, we scouted an area an hour from where I live, to find out someone else was there. No big deal, we moved to another location. Don't be surprised to see someone else in your spots. Chances are that farmer gave you, and about 15 other people, permission to hunt.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby diesel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:08 pm

I appreciate all the info. Hopefully i can meet up with some locals and get them to show me around. I've hunted the ms delta for 30 years and tired of throwing money away. Figure i would give my money to another state.
diesel
Newb

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Permission is easy sometimes and sometimes its hard. Varies from area to area, year to year. This past fall, with the august goose season, ducks grouped up on remaining water early in the season, a steady migration, and concentrated mallards for the last 3 weeks of the season, some farmers were absolutely fed up with getting calls for permission.

Plat books can be bought at county courthouses, or online for $25-$40 per county, or you could see about checking some out from a local library.
I'm going to guess this year that you'll have a 75% chance of drawing a license in the lottery. Just make sure you get your application in on time. The game fish and parks website has all that information.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting