Mice...

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Mice...

Postby WendallMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:27 am

What do you guys do to keep mice out of your decoy bags when they are in storage?

I just bought a bunch of decoys this summer off of a few guys, and every bag I got has holes chewed in them, nests in some of the decoys etc.

I have them out of the bags and on shelves, or in my garage where I don't have mice (or enough to be a visible issue) but plan on storing them in my shed for the off season and would need to store them in the bags. The shed is at the back of the yard, next to a prairie and has a known mice infestation (just moved in, cleaned the shed, saw a mouse in a cabinet and nests galore).

I don't want to poison the little bastards because I don't want to just kill them, I know it would be a losing battle, I have a 2 year old and a dog that I don't want to expose to the tasty treats.

I was going to hang the bags from the rafters but figured they would just climb down into them.

Do mothballs really work?

Short of buying huge tupperware totes, I am lost.

Any ideas?

Wendallman
WendallMan
hunter

Mice...

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:02 am

I hang my decoys and layout from the rafters of the garage, I've not had mice get into them and I know there are mice in the garage.
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Re: Mice...

Postby WendallMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 am

Botiz630 wrote:I hang my decoys and layout from the rafters of the garage, I've not had mice get into them and I know there are mice in the garage.

Good to know. I just assumed they would climb to the ceiling and down the rope or hook to the bags. I guess there really isn't a reason for them to want to, but knowing how things seem to go for me, they would.

Now I need to see if there is enough room in the shed to hang all of the bags. Might have to shelf the duck floaters like I had them at the old house.

WM
WendallMan
hunter

Postby flight control » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:35 am

RELEASE THE WEASELS
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby ufducks7 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:50 am

flight control wrote:RELEASE THE WEASELS

haha for sure! But no seriously go get yourself 2 good (free) cats off craigs list and lock them in your shed with water and a little bit of food so they want to hunt, before long mice will just avoid the place for the most part
DD
ufducks7
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:54 pm

ufducks7 wrote:

haha for sure! But no seriously go get yourself 2 good (free) cats off craigs list and lock them in your shed with water and a little bit of food so they want to hunt, before long mice will just avoid the place for the most part

I'd have to put a heater in the shed then. My wife doesn't do well in the cold.

If I brought home cats, they'd either be in the house or she'd have to go with them. And I am not letting a cat in my house.
WendallMan
hunter

Postby ufducks7 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:30 pm

WendallMan wrote:
ufducks7 wrote:

If I brought home cats, they'd either be in the house or she'd have to go with them. And I am not letting a cat in my house.

Haha fair point! And a smart man! Good luck with the mice! I've never had much trouble hanging my stuff, but then we have barn cats too so idk, if all else fails you can still try for the weasels!
DD
ufducks7
hunter

Postby flight control » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:08 pm

WendallMan wrote:
ufducks7 wrote:

Smart man, one cat led to two here. I would rather have mice, at least I could kill them when I catch them on the counters.

I don't think a weasel can kill a cat. Maybe I could get a wolverine or a honney badger.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby weasel897 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:33 pm

someone call for a weasel? :hi:
weasel897
Newb

Postby WendallMan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:38 pm

weasel897 wrote:someone call for a weasel? :hi:

Stay out of my shed dude or I am getting some cats!

:wink:
WendallMan
hunter

Postby flight control » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:19 pm

:lol3:

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby OVRUNDR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 pm

I store my decoys in the garage, and in the shed at my bush camp, I simply put a couple fleecy sheets in the bottom and at the top of the bag and never had a problem. I also use fleecy sheets in my boats over the winter to keep the bastards out and works great.
OVRUNDR
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:28 pm

OVRUNDR wrote:I store my decoys in the garage, and in the shed at my bush camp, I simply put a couple fleecy sheets in the bottom and at the top of the bag and never had a problem. I also use fleecy sheets in my boats over the winter to keep the bastards out and works great.

Really? Any idea what it is about fleece sheets they dislike?
WendallMan
hunter

Postby rozzo842 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:32 pm

I've used Downey sheets in my pop-up and it seems to work.
rozzo842
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm

rozzo842 wrote:I've used Downey sheets in my pop-up and it seems to work.

And the light above my head turns on....

That's probably what fleecy sheets are. I just noticed ovrundr is from Canada and that might be what they are called, or a brand of them.

Thanks for the idea!
WendallMan
hunter

Postby Fatback » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 pm

410 ... #9 shot ?
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby ufducks7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 am

Fatback wrote:410 ... #9 shot ?

Hmmm... I'd wind up with too many holes I'm my shed haha while slightly unpractical I still give the edge to weasels!
DD
ufducks7
hunter

Postby flight control » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:05 am

Yeah fleecy is a faabric softener up here, we also have downy.

Have you considered one of those multiple catch live traps? Might use one of those in conjunction with fabric softener sheets.

Up here, I don't worry about mice, its porcupines that eat my decoys. Nothing that a 22 can't take care of.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 am

flight control wrote:Yeah fleecy is a faabric softener up here, we also have downy.

Have you considered one of those multiple catch live traps? Might use one of those in conjunction with fabric softener sheets.

Up here, I don't worry about mice, its porcupines that eat my decoys. Nothing that a 22 can't take care of.

With the amount of nests and poop that I cleaned out of the shed when I moved in I would have a mountain of mice if I tried to kill them. I think I will toss some moth balls around the inside perimeter, some dryer sheets in the bags and if that fails, I will burn the field next to my property down and force them to find another field.

I think I'd rather porcupines over mice. At least they are neat looking and could provide a more substantial meal in a pinch I would guess. My dog probably wouldn't get along with them though.
WendallMan
hunter

Postby flight control » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:30 am

Yeah dogs+porcupines=pita.

I know a guy who had to bring his chessie to the vet three times in two weeks with a snoutfull of quills. The fourth time he just wrapped the dog in a blanket and went to work with the vise grips to teach it a lesson. Dumbest dog I've ever seen. :no:

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby OVRUNDR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Honestly don't have a clue why the mice stay away, but they do. The owner of the place I use to store my boats at told me to try it cause I had one of my boat seats and cover chewed up one winter. I tried it worked, so now I use it at the camp trailer and in or around anything that may harbour the bastards. The guy also stated that if I placed used cat litter in a open bag that the cat urine would keep them away, opted for to try the fleecy/ downy sheets and it worked and smells better. Glad to help and see that others have known about this little trick. Maybe they can shed some in sight to why it works?
OVRUNDR
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:56 am

flight control wrote:
WendallMan wrote:
ufducks7 wrote:

Smart man, one cat led to two here. I would rather have mice, at least I could kill them when I catch them on the counters.

I don't think a weasel can kill a cat. Maybe I could get a wolverine or a honney badger.

All the honey badger is good for is killing roaches!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:02 am

50 mouse traps loaded with kraft singles cheese.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby steamer1958 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi I use a product called Cleancab to repeal mic in my camper. It is in a little bag you put in the area you want to protect.
steamer1958
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:01 am

A Ferret makes a great pet as well as a great mouser.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting