what the heck did I shoot pics added

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Postby skinin_bonz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:56 pm

This is my 2nd year hunting ducks...1st year out on my own. My ID ain't up to snuff yet. Could use some help on this one. I 1st thought it was a red head...belly didn't look white enuff to be a canvas back when it came in. But the bill was wrong...long slender and coal black. But it has golden yellow eyes...not red like a C back. Has grey flecks in the white on the back. Anyone got any ideas? I'm new here so thanks for the help.
Attachments
20130108090116.jpg
Last edited by skinin_bonz on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
skinin_bonz
hunter

Re: what the heck did I shoot

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Any pics?
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby Tealwemeetagain » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Sounds like a merganser
Go Noles
Tealwemeetagain
hunter

Postby skinin_bonz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:18 am

The only pics are on my cell phone. I could send them tol someone if they were interested.
skinin_bonz
hunter

Re: what the heck did I shoot pics added

Postby take-em'29 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 am

Canvasback
take-em'29
hunter

Postby flight control » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:02 am

Yup, canvasback
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:03 am

Canvasback
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 am

Don't take this the wrong way as I'm not saying this in anger but why do people who hunt and fish go out not knowing their target species? When I started duck hunting I read both online and paper back ID books on ducks so I knew what was what. Same with fishing when I got into it at 5 years old. Anyhow, get yourself the DU app for your smart phone and read about each duck and learn what they look like. This site also has some resources. I bought the Audubon book of North American Waterfowl on Amazon too. It has pictures and info on tons of birds you will see, their demographic info, and their normal ranges. Buy it, read it, and learn it so you don't get slapped with a Federal violation. Good luck.
troutman561
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:56 pm

troutman561 wrote:Don't take this the wrong way as I'm not saying this in anger but why do people who hunt and fish go out not knowing their target species? When I started duck hunting I read both online and paper back ID books on ducks so I knew what was what. Same with fishing when I got into it at 5 years old. Anyhow, get yourself the DU app for your smart phone and read about each duck and learn what they look like. This site also has some resources. I bought the Audubon book of North American Waterfowl on Amazon too. It has pictures and info on tons of birds you will see, their demographic info, and their normal ranges. Buy it, read it, and learn it so you don't get slapped with a Federal violation. Good luck.

I agree man. I'm not trying to sound like a d*ck. But learn your ducks. Not trying to be mean, but if you are going to hunt you need to know your birds. I'd hate to see you get a ticket or even loose your hunting license. Good luck in the future!
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Hopefully the season was open for them! Saw a rookie bring in a limit of 7 pintails. To bad you can only shoot two!
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:Hopefully the season was open for them! Saw a rookie bring in a limit of 7 pintails. To bad you can only shoot two!

:hammer: WOW! thats crazy!
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 pm

This is great :thumbsup: Had to have happened in NC!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby loon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:18 pm

I have to agree that's the worst case of duck identification I've ever seen. I mean that Bird isn't even in eclipse plumage, It looks exactly as one on the page of the identification book. How is this Hunter going to tell a snow goose from a swan Or cormorants from a scoter Much less a hen of any of the species. I wonder what other ducks he shot that day? Any blue herons or seagulls?I know he said he was new but we have a responsibility to the sport to be able to recognize a full plumage drake canvasback. Young man do not load your shotgun again until you buy a bird book. The lemaster one is great for a bird in the hand any birding guide will help you to know if its a mallard or an endangered trumpeter swan you are about to kill
:fingerpt:
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby ky lake mud pie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 pm

whoa :huh: pintail goldeneye hybrid
ky lake mud pie
hunter

Postby Shade » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:26 am

While I agree that ducks should be identified prior to pulling the trigger, I am going to play devil's advocate a little bit here:

1) As long as you are hunting an area where there are ZERO "illegal" ducks (most places in the lower 48), it is legal to shoot first and ask questions later AS LONG AS you can at least distinguish DUCK VS EVERYTHING else AND you only shoot one bird at a time (and then make the ID before shooting again, OR going home)

2) I don't care what anyone says ..... No one on the planet can make a positive ID (before the shot) every time. Low light conditions, fog, eclipse plumage, weird hybrid situations, abnormal phasing...... There are a lot of good ways to ID ducks prior to the shot. Wing beat, size, speed, sound, flight pattern, etc. But there is too much overlap to guarantee it every time.

Yes. Do everything in your power to be ethical and try to ID prior to pulling that trigger.... But a book of perfectly colored birds is no substitute for experience. And there is only one way to get experience.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:58 am

Yup zero illegal ducks for the last 2 yrs but we had a partially closed season on cans before that(in Wisconsin we had a shorter can season within the regular season) plus does anyone believe someone will shoot one bird and quit? We had some 16 yr olds show up at a landing on the bay with a cormorant each they called them black ducks. That kind of crap makes us all look like Elmer Fudd
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby Zochbirds » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:53 pm

skinin_bonz wrote:But it has golden yellow eyes...not red like a C back.

It has yellow eyes?? can we see a pic of the eyes?
If that doesn't get your blood boiling... nothing will.
2013-2014
Pintails-3
spoonbills-1
wigeon-10
teal-2
total:16
Zochbirds
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:09 pm

cant shoot harliquins around here. had 3 drakes bomb into my spread yesterday. or maybe they were buffleheads? huh maybe i should have shot them first.
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:35 am

He said he thought it was a red head till he got it in hand and questioned the eyes. It's not like he was blindly shooting whatever flies by.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:37 am

According to him he will...

skinin_bonz wrote:Like I said. I thought it was a red head when I shot.but it don't seem to fit either ID. I assume ur a 30 year hunter and never missed....or was EVER unsure. If I don't have a limit and it says QUACK...ill shoot what I want. If this is the help you offer. Thanks but no thanks.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby skinin_bonz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:42 pm

I took a lot of crap off you @****** about this. Yes I got mad and said id shoot what I want. And I also made privet and public apologies for that. If you shot a malard w a purple beak I would think with the years of hunting experience on here...I guy would be able to get some help . NOT raked over the coals. Moderators PLEASE delet my user id. I thank those for their help that were helpful and **** the rest of you.
skinin_bonz
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Man really? Most replies were helpful and contained advice you need to take. Plus, canvasback may be one of the more "well known" ducks other than a mallard so most were surprised it was not identified. Still, it doesn't change the fact that you need to know your ducks. Can you ID on the wing? That takes time and most people can't. It is tough. But, there is no excuse for ID issues once shot. Knowing the difference between a limit of blue bills and a limit of ring necks will save you lots of money in tickets. Or canvasback vs red head, same deal. Grab a book and enjoy. I love learning about waterfowl so it shouldn't be a big deal.
troutman561
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:18 am

captmike69 wrote:cant shoot harliquins around here. had 3 drakes bomb into my spread yesterday. or maybe they were buffleheads? huh maybe i should have shot them first.

To where someone can shoot both redheads and canvasbacks and he hadn't gotten the legal limit, I'd say he's ok. Harlis and buffies are a different story. They can be ID'd. If you can shoot only one or the other amd you cannot ID it, then it's best to pass. I don't worry about identifying ducks until I'm close or have reached the legal species limit.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
captmike69 wrote:cant shoot harliquins around here. had 3 drakes bomb into my spread yesterday. or maybe they were buffleheads? huh maybe i should have shot them first.

To where someone can shoot both redheads and canvasbacks and he hadn't gotten the legal limit, I'd say he's ok. Harlis and buffies are a different story. They can be ID'd. If you can shoot only one or the other amd you cannot ID it, then it's best to pass. I don't worry about identifying ducks until I'm close or have reached the legal species limit.

How can you not tell the diffrence between a can and a red? The beak and head give it away as well as the white coloring. All ducks are very easily identifiable in flight. Except for telling a ringneck and bluebill or a gwt and bwt in flight but they both fall under the same bag limit.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby tbreen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:46 pm

The picture up there is definitely a drake Canvasback, If you're shooting those, you should really know what you're shooting at. If you shoot over your legal limit you'll get in bigg trouble :fingerpt: :fingerpt:
tbreen
hunter

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting