Wax Lake Area

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Wax Lake Area

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Anybody hunt the wax lake area this year? Just curious about duck numbers up to now.
D Comeaux
hunter

Re: Wax Lake Area

Postby ada5771 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:31 am

Had a few birds but not nearly as many birds as they did Yahoos running around... Its never worth it out there1hour boat ride to find some one is in your blind or some one shows up at 730 and gets stuck on a sand bar 100 yards from your decoys and ruins your hunt. best bet is to walk in some where that a mud motor cant get to... and if you do happen to shoot birds better be there at 2 the next morning. People just dont have respect any more every one and there brother has a prodrive or gator tail and is gunhoe about running it.
ada5771
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 am

ada5771 wrote:Had a few birds but not nearly as many birds as they did Yahoos running around... Its never worth it out there1hour boat ride to find some one is in your blind or some one shows up at 730 and gets stuck on a sand bar 100 yards from your decoys and ruins your hunt. best bet is to walk in some where that a mud motor cant get to... and if you do happen to shoot birds better be there at 2 the next morning. People just dont have respect any more every one and there brother has a prodrive or gator tail and is gunhoe about running it.

I've never hunted out there and don't really want to beacuse of what you wrote!! I was just curious about the number of birds out there this year. Way too much work and aggravation for me :lol3:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby adamdu82 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 am

it seems to be the same sad story for each WMA that does hold some ducks, but from what i can tell it is mostly those that have easy access. I believe the only way to get away from the idiots and ridiculous pressure is to go where no one else wants to go. In my opinion, if i were to try and hunt the atchafalaya delta area, i would launch out of berwick and go down river to that delta. The wax lake area is just to easy to get to and every yahoo will go down there to hunt.
adamdu82
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 am

adamdu82 wrote:it seems to be the same sad story for each WMA that does hold some ducks, but from what i can tell it is mostly those that have easy access. I believe the only way to get away from the idiots and ridiculous pressure is to go where no one else wants to go. In my opinion, if i were to try and hunt the atchafalaya delta area, i would launch out of berwick and go down river to that delta. The wax lake area is just to easy to get to and every yahoo will go down there to hunt.

You ever hunt out of Myette Point? I've allways wondered about the duck hunting in that area?? Like the back of crew boat shoot?
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby adamdu82 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:34 am

Never heard of Myette Point............where is it located? And what do you mean by crew boat shoot?
adamdu82
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:48 am

adamdu82 wrote:Never heard of Myette Point............where is it located? And what do you mean by crew boat shoot?

These areas are just to north of the delta. Myette point has a boat ramp and Crew boat shoot is a canal in the WMA.

attakapasisland_Page_1.jpg
attakapasisland_Page_1.jpg (39.36 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby adamdu82 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:13 am

ok that's Attap. WMA. I used to work with a guy that deer hunted that area alot and from what i've read i'm not sure that part of the atchafalaya is great for the ducks........it seems like to much swampy area that will mostly be good for wood ducks and the occasional mallard. One WMA i was curious about was the Sherburne WMA but that one seems the same.........more for deer with some duck spots. We normally hunt pointe aux chene WMA and lake boeuf (for pouldeau) and some ducks (lots of ruddy ducks and ringnecks out there). Lots of people too. My dad used to hunt Lake Cataouche /Lake salvador WMA years and years ago when he lived in westwego, so i think we may explore that WMA being as its freshwater and near the diversion keeping it fresh.
adamdu82
hunter

Postby adamdu82 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 am

If anyone has any information as to what we can expect on the Salvador/Timken WMA nowadays please throw it out there.

Thanks,
adamdu82
hunter

Postby ada5771 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Hunted Attackapas WMA last week you have to find the perfect cove or hole with a mixture of water and food... most of the coves are dryed up and the ones that have water have no feed and every tom **** and harry with a mud motor runs in them.... best way to hunt is to walk into the swamp... we went 3 times scratched once did ok another and hit the perfect honney hole the last time... its hit or miss out there im going hunt shaws island tom hopefully its not a swing and a miss
ada5771
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 pm

ada5771 wrote:Hunted Attackapas WMA last week you have to find the perfect cove or hole with a mixture of water and food... most of the coves are dryed up and the ones that have water have no feed and every tom **** and harry with a mud motor runs in them.... best way to hunt is to walk into the swamp... we went 3 times scratched once did ok another and hit the perfect honney hole the last time... its hit or miss out there im going hunt shaws island tom hopefully its not a swing and a miss

I was always curious about the duck hunt hunting in that area. I been fishing in that area for a long time.
D Comeaux
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting