Goose Migration

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Re: Goose Migration

Postby SPatrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:11 am

yeah the snows have been helping out, but like you said, still not the same. IMO Guiding for snows is a cash cow, and there is a potential to make lots of money, I just don't think the general hunting public is sold on the idea yet of heading to Southern IL to hunt snows, they always think Canadas which is a pretty antiquated thought. IMO and I may get destroyed for this, but IL is an untapped resource in terms of guiding for snows. I know of several areas that could turn into the next mound city if the wrong people saw the areas.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:28 am

SPatrick wrote:yeah the snows have been helping out, but like you said, still not the same. IMO Guiding for snows is a cash cow, and there is a potential to make lots of money, I just don't think the general hunting public is sold on the idea yet of heading to Southern IL to hunt snows, they always think Canadas which is a pretty antiquated thought. IMO and I may get destroyed for this, but IL is an untapped resource in terms of guiding for snows. I know of several areas that could turn into the next mound city if the wrong people saw the areas.

Man SPatrick that snow migration is one I have yet to figure out. We just don't see em' up here in like you guys do. Traveling the state North to South like I have the last few years, the furthest North I've seen large numbers of snows was just outside Champaign. I kind of get the feeling that the snows seem to prefer to follow the Missouri river into Illinois rather than the Miss :huh:
I sure wish they did make their way through here b/c I'd sure like to give them a piece of my mind :yes:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:39 am

If you talk to the guys who are really up on the snow goose migration, they have several theories of why they travel the way they do. What always surprises me is that major river systems are not included in it. It seems they follow large tracts of farm ground with large bodies of water such as big lakes spaced intermittently. it also seems that they follow some large interstate highway corridors as well (I feel weird writing that but I have been told that by guys who know way more about it than myself). I kind of subscribe to the ag/crop land theory if you look at areas that hold a lot of birds it makes since. Not really sure why they cross over the state line as well but I would love to find the point in which they do that. :sniper:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Previous

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting