Layout Boat

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Layout Boat

Postby quadejagger » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Looking for a layout boat for next season. If anyone has one for sale, or can recommend a good brand to buy i would like to hear about them. Thanks For the information.
quadejagger
hunter

Re: Layout Boat

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:45 pm

What type of water? Size?
ohioboy
hunter

Layout Boat

Postby hankyorke » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:49 pm

First off congrats on looking for an calling a layout boat a layout boat. Too many on here call marsh boats layout boats.

I would recommend MLB (although I hear the communication sucks now that the company isn't owned by Mark Rongers). I have been in the original Lake Bonnevile and it was comfy but if you had more than 2" yes 2 inch waves you had better bring a cup and sponge. Maybe the new ones are better... I don't know. Good luck!
hankyorke
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 am

I have a UFO, love it.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Layout Boat

Postby trigger22 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:12 am

Check out the Ambusher by Core Sound Layout Boats. I've been hunting out of one since 2007 and don't have any complaints whatsoever.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 am

hankyorke wrote:I have been in the original Lake Bonnevile and it was comfy but if you had more than 2" yes 2 inch waves you had better bring a cup and sponge. Maybe the new ones are better... I don't know. Good luck!

I'm guessing you are talking about the apparition, which didn't have a spray curtain?

My take
MLB - Supermag hunts good, but I think quality is lacking. Not keen on laying in water, fiberglass splinters, thin fiberglass or having waders ruined from bolts sticking through the bow where they bolted the cleat on. But still hunts good. Kalash, looks awesome in the water but everyone I know of leaked from day 1 and had to be fixed by the hunter. One I heard was sent back twice before the hunter gave up and just fixed it himself.

UFO - Some people seem to like them. Owner is probably the biggest liability.

Bankes - Top tier contruction and owners. Pumpkin seed is basically the go to boat for a lot of guys, just not roomy enough for my taste. Towable's, top tier in comfort and quality, downside is that unless it is pretty calm I would not plan on towing it more than a mile or so. With towables, also need 2nd vehicle to get them to the launch, although I saw two different rigs this year do it with one. One had the Hercules in a 20' Alaskan and the other had 2 Hercules on a rack above the boat trailer.

LBLB - Like Bankes, top tier in construction and owner. I run a Big Brother II with the higher spray curtain option.

Video from this year, that's a 25' Duck Water being tossed around and we were still able to run 2 big brothers.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii17 ... FB7DC5.mp4
g_maxson
hunter

Postby quadejagger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:36 pm

THank you for all the information. We will be hunting a good size lake, nothing like the Great Lakes. When the wind does blow it will create descent size rollers 1-3 feet. Just would like one that is safe and easy to hunt out of.
quadejagger
hunter

Layout Boat

Postby g_maxson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:13 pm

I would just get an MLB supermag till you know if you like layout hunting. Once you decide to continue revisit boats again. I say this because they are not that expensive and you would not have a problem with resale if you chose to move up, equally good option is the Bankes pumpkin seed for a starter boat.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:27 pm

quadejagger wrote:THank you for all the information. We will be hunting a good size lake, nothing like the Great Lakes. When the wind does blow it will create descent size rollers 1-3 feet. Just would like one that is safe and easy to hunt out of.

The layout will handle bigger water then the tender as a rule of thumb. I have yet to feel unsafe in the UFO, its usually the ride back in the 25' sled that's scary. I would imagine the rest of them are just as safe, only reason I went with a UFO was my size. It was the boat I was most comfortable in.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby duckdoyle » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:36 am

I'm hunting out of a Bankes 1 man the 10' model. I'm 5'-11" and it's very comfortable, 6'-4" might get tight. I've hunted in 2' chop on the great south bay long island ny, wind against tide so it stacks up pritty good no problem. We use a Carolina 16 DLX carolina skiff with a tiller set up and slide the boat in over the bow. 2 guys 8 doz deeks and away we go. I find it blends into the water here very well with its factory gel coat and no additional painting. Good luck.
duckdoyle
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting