Roost Frustration

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Roost Frustration

Postby Bloke » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 am

Any one with some good advise would be greatly appreciated. I have never been so frustrated in my life. I have been duck hunting for 15 years and never had this problem. I have a swamp lease that I have hunted for the last 5 years. Always had good luck and know where the good spots are. Well the last 2 years it has fell victim to young hunters that do not know how to hunt. They hunt 3 to 4 times a week and pass shoot (i.e. skybust) as woodies as they fly out. The added pressure has taken its toll. Last year I just let them pressure it till late in the season and let the ducks pile up on my side. Worked out well. This year is a different story. I have hunted it 4 times this year with nothing to show, unless I revert to popping at passing wood chickens. (aint happnin) Well I finally found why. I deer hunted the last day of season and saw hundreds of ducks falling into a spot the size of a half acre. I walked in there the next day and found that they are roosting in this spot. They come in at dusk and leave my property in the morning. Anyone know how to turn this into a productive spot, without bait, and without shooting by the moonlight. :help:
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Re: Roost Frustration

Postby koonce727 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Get permission where they are going. Should make for a good evening shoot. Weather will play a part in what time of day they show up, whether it be earlier or later.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Roost Frustration

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Yea just hunt that spot in the afternoon
Ztkirkpatric
hunter

Postby lou_01 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:11 pm

I feel your pain, i have a spot i hunt and there are 2 skybusters who visit it frequently. Stay maximum of 15 minutes, no calls no decoys just gun and shells and itchy trigger finger i have no clue what satisfaction they get but unlike your scenario they are adults and one of them has got to be pushing 70! Yeah you could hunt in your spot in the afternoon and shoot the roost once but after that you can kiss them goodbye forever, or unless new ones arrive. I would suggest maybe trying to talk some sense into the youngsters, maybe they have watched duck commander and decided to give duckin a try and just have no clue, maybe you could give them some pointers that would help both parties. May help may not. Just a thought.
lou_01
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:10 pm

I quit huntting a spot that we hunted for 30 years. It belongs to relatives. In 2006 they let a guy and his friends on the property that have very few ethics. They will sky bust, shoot the roost in the evening and shoot morning and evening till the birds leave. Usually a few days. We used to have good shooting on this property till freeze up and now it is baked in a week or less. It isn't even that they kill many birds. They do lots of shooting and lose lots of birds. There is no talking to them and the landowner believes their stories. We quit hunting there completely. It has taken a while to come up with other areas but the aggrevation is much less than dealing with jerks.

I would saythe value of your lease has gone down significantly since the other hunters are in the area. May be time to put your money some place else. Let your landlord know why you are unhappy.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Wisconsincheese » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:04 pm

The birds coming in late is probably a response to the shooting pressure they have experienced. If pressure subsides the birds may come in earlier (shooting hours). Wood ducks in particuliar are very sensitive to pressure and will change roosts or feeding spots a day after an intrusion / being shot at.
Wisconsincheese
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting