Quack Decoys

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Quack Decoys

Postby PiKappCutter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 pm

My uncle gave me some of these decoys and I like the rubber bodies and the keels but they need a paint job. Since they are rubber I was wondering what paint I should use. I figure it would need a special paint in order to adhere to the rubber. Thanks for any help.
PiKappCutter
hunter

Re: Quack Decoys

Postby boney fingers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:02 pm

I used kilz primer then sprinkled urathane foam dust in the kilz to texture it. After drying I painted with rattle can primers and camo paint giving it a dull look. I had to fill the heads with spray foam as the paint comes off the head if it flexes due to the thin plastic. Found some cheap teddy bear eyes online to finish them off. Hunted these birds all season and the only trouble I had was1 were I didnt clean the decoy good. I keep them in individual slot bags and that helps too. I did 2 dozen this year to see how they hold up before I did the other 3 dozen. Overall good deks that should give you years of service. Only falt is they need a little more keel weight. Also you can send them back to Quack and have them referbed. This is a pic of some before and after painting.

boney fingers
hunter

Re: Quack Decoys

Postby PiKappCutter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks man I'll give it a try!
PiKappCutter
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting