Connecticut river?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Connecticut river?

Postby Meekjones » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi all I'm an avid hunter but new to waterfowl and the forum... I'm from southern vt. I've done a lot of fishing on the Connecticut from the Vernon dam up to Springfield. I've seen a lot of ducks in that stretch of river. I'm curious if there are any decent spots along there. Thanks for the help..
Meekjones
Newb

Re: Connecticut river?

Postby hawkman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:55 am

I hunt the upper part from Lancaster to White River Junction. The ducks and geese use the river and the adjacent cornfields but only a few spots are used consistently. Rarely do I do great on the river but I do get a few there. It all comes down to scouting both preseason and during the season. I spend as much time scouting as I do hunting.
hawkman
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:00 pm

that stretch of river gets pounded by hunters. I used to hunt it quite a bit and is was pretty good for the second season but lately there is way more pressure and less ducks. Good luck!
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Welcome to the forum and the best advise is to get out and scout the area,figure out the spots you see the ducks going to the most and when the season comes around,be the first to lock down the spot! It is a race out there on limited water like a river,and duck hunters are competitive! Good luck!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5