Decoy/Layout advice needed

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Decoy/Layout advice needed

Postby skunkel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm new to hunting Central Texas and freshwater in general. Not looking to ask for advice on any spots or honey holes as I've spent the last month looking and just now finally found birds. :thumbsup:

I'm from the coast and used to hunting redheads and pintails on open water, but apparently hunting birds around here requires something different as I had lots of birds eye my setup but wouldn't commit today.

What species do ya'll use? How many decoy's do you use. How do you handle setting up your shooting position and the decoy's when wind is less than the optimal direction?

Also, if anyone is looking for a hunting partner or just to grab a few beers [album][album][/album][/album]with a fellow hunter let me know. I have my own decoys/ equipment and run a momarsh with a mini longtail (its a little tight for two people but can really get you into the backwaters).
Attachments
image_2 - Copy.gif
skunkel
Newb

Re: Decoy/Layout advice needed

Postby Barney#1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

:welcome:
That's a pretty cool little rig there. Looks like it would be real handy for getting in tight spots.

I like to set up two gobs of deeks with a landing zone in between. Late in the season one gob of deeks and one off all by itself. The solo being downwind. I haven't hunted the coast yet so I don't know if this will work there. To tell the truth not much has worked well for me this season untill yesterday. My daughter's pet duck got ran over this weekend. I think he was the curse :lol3:
Good luck on your new spot.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:34 am

i hunt walkin stuff with as few decoys as possable this time of year, 18 at most. three or four litte family pods. i took 3 gwt 1 mallard and 1 widgeon sat and 3gwt and 2 widgeon yesterday all of them where coming towards me when i saw them so never touched the calls just let them come
. the ducks i saw high and crossing the lake never responded to calls. maybe they are call shy maybe my calling sucks maybe a little of both. oh and use the crap outta jerk strings
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Match what you see, to the T - late season potholes can be tricky.
Pouledeau
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting