Dead Duck / Future Mount Question

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Dead Duck / Future Mount Question

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:10 pm

On this morning's hunt, I got a gorgeous / pretty much perfect hen mallard that I want to mount with a drake mallard... a drake mallard that I haven't got yet. So my question is, how do I store the hen in the meantime and how long will she last?

I have always just wrapped my ducks gently in newspaper and kept them in the freezer until I am ready to mount them. That said, I have never waited on a mount like this before and the max time I have had a duck in the freezer has been a week or two. Hopefully I will get a drake mallard the remaining part of this year or next year (I've gotten three or four this year but none of them were mountable) but it might be a few seasons.

Any advice / thoughts / suggestions would be most appreciated :beer:
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Re: Dead Duck / Future Mount Question

Postby soillduck » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:54 pm

wrap her feet in a wet paper towel and place the head under her wing. Just put her in a plastic bag and then take a trash bag and spin it tight. Make sure there is no air in both bags, some people say you can keep them up to a year. Are mallards rare where you are from??
soillduck
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:30 am

Good advice. Here's more. Get her mounted, then incorporate the drake with the hen when you get him. Just have the taxidermist put her on a piece that allows for an additional bird. When you shoot the drake, have the taxidermist mount the drake with the same sort of motion as the hen. You can also freeze the bird in water. It will certainly take up more room, but will be good for many years. I would skin it, and flesh it, then freeze in a block, but I know how, and you may not?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks for the input! No, mallards are not scare in my area. My issue is that 1) I hunt mostly on family owned swamps and we just don't see / shoot a ton of mallards at those locations and 2) I only started looking this season for a mallard pair to mount and thus far I have not gotten a nice drake mallard to mount. I do think that I should be able to get one by the end of next season.

I really like the idea of going ahead and mounting the hen and leaving a space for the drake. I never thought about that. I will talk with my taxidermist person about it.

Thanks again :beer:
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby ALaguaite » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:38 pm

I've actually heard that wrapping ducks in newspaper is bad. I had a bwt that was wrapped for a year before I brought him in and the taxi called me before he did it and said he could t mount it because it was too dry and apparently the newspaper draws moisture out of the bird. I just wrap mine in trash bags because I do them myself so they aren't in there for long. :beer:
Gwt-6
Bwt-5
Scaup-4
Hooded merganser-2
Mottled-2
Goldeneye-1
Gadwall-6
ALaguaite
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum