How would you rate this season compared to past?

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

How was your season?

Best yet
23%
Better than normal
23%
Average
31%
Below normal
8%
Worst yet
15%

Total votes : 13

How would you rate this season compared to past?

Postby JustinNH » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:18 am

Just wondering how everyone would compare this season to last season or any prior seasons?

For me, it started out horrible. Worst first split- no better than my first season. Especially strange since it looked so promising during early goose.

Second half's opening weekend started with my first ever limit of 6 (along with Dave's first limit) which was very nice. Then it went down to 2-3 birds total between two of us for each day. Far better than we were doing earlier in the season, but still pretty slow.

I was either sick, at Christmas/holiday events, or did not want to brave 15-25mph winds for the last few weekends after inland closed... so I did not get out as much as I wanted towards the end... but doesn't seem like I missed much.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: How would you rate this season compared to past?

Postby ShortBeardCommander » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:25 am

This was our first season so I can't weigh in on the comparison but I felt like we did well.

Our best days would be 5-6 birds between two of us and our slow days were 1-2. We killed mostly wood ducks in the early season and saw very few mallards in either season. Turns out we both like the taste of wood duck better so it worked out. If we had a dog we would have done much better. We lost about 1-2 birds each trip due to diving or swimming off and hiding in the swamp before we could run out to get them.

In the late season we switched to mostly saltwater areas and saw a lot more birds (black ducks and buffleheads) but killed about the same numbers.

After new years day we started to see more mallards but we only had the chance to go out twice before season closed.
Team NH CBK
ShortBeardCommander
hunter

Postby duck envy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:13 am

Defintely better year than the past couple. Early season was rough due to losing a couple hidden spots to new people that decided they "owned" the spots. But once I located some new areas I did well. I never limited out (full 6) during inland season but had good results every time out. Found that the birds were moving later in the morning for the most part. Used that to my advantage.
Had good times on a couple coastal duck/goose trips and sea ducking was good.
Looking forward to a few more sea duck/goose hunts in MA the next couple weeks. Then time to bunny hunt and do a lil ice fishing.
duck envy
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:55 pm

My season was one of the better ones I could remember. Like others, I needed to scout more to find birds due to the fact that the "easy" spots seemed to get beat up. Also, having a young dog makes the hunt all the much better.

Click on the youtube link if you would like to see a brief compilation of my pups 2012-13 season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reK464fzFCU
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:10 am

This Season was not the best ever numbers wise. (was 6 birds shy of my all time record) but it was BY FAR the best season as far as days hunted to birds killed. I was skunked only twice all season. Scouting was a huge part of that, for every day hunting I scouted 2. The "west side" (can't mention any town names) can be great if you know where to look, and when. So I would rank this season as my best ever. I never saw another hunter this year, I was able to hunt midweek and did my scouting on mondays to see where the weekend guys had pushed the birds for my tuesday hunts.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting