check this out!!!!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

check this out!!!!

Postby possumfoot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:41 pm

last pic does not do justice.. i took it at an odd angle and i feel terrible.. but hey, i can take as many pics as i want when he (or she) is on the wall!!!

WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Re: check this out!!!!

Postby duxrus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Too bad you didn't have a normal Ross laying beside it to show exactly what you have....CONGRATS on something cool and rare. :thumbsup: :clapping: :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:46 pm

duxrus wrote:Too bad you didn't have a normal Ross laying beside it to show exactly what you have....CONGRATS on something cool and rare. :thumbsup: :clapping: :thumbsup:

tis true. did not even have a snow to put in the pic with it.. he came in all by his lonesome..

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Geauxtigers1421 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:55 pm

The only goose I've shot is a speck so I apologize if this is a stupid question but what type of goose is that?

Beautiful bird though!
Geauxtigers1421
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Ross goose. That thing better go on the wall! If not send this way! Its like a 1/10000 chance of killing one....
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:48 pm

I would say it is a blue phase of snow goose,not a Ross . Old timers called them eagle heads.
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:I would say it is a blue phase of snow goose,not a Ross . Old timers called them eagle heads.

you should brush up on your goose identification skills...

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:51 am

possumfoot wrote:
Slash LaReux wrote:I would say it is a blue phase of snow goose,not a Ross . Old timers called them eagle heads.

you should brush up on your goose identification skills...

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes he should.....
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby kruse » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 am

Here is what a Blue Phase Ross looks like.

kruse
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 am

A hanging dead mount next to a regular Ross would really show off the difference and keep people from only "thinking" it is a Bluegoose. I always suggest people wanting a black duck and a greenhead done together to add a suzie because you will get tired of the black duck being called a suzie from the non-hunting crowd. :no:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:48 am

Like this one brian? Here's a suzie next to a black. Of course they are contrasting to begin with, but add the leucism to the mix, and you get Paul and Stevie's Ebony and Ivory! Most people still wouldn't be able to tell the difference...nor know the song. lol
Attachments
ebony and ivory.jpg
ebony and ivory.jpg (13.14 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:38 am

I just know EVERYTIME I do a black duck with a greenhead the majority of people seeing them comment on the "pair" of mallards. :fingerhead:
duxrus
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:31 pm

duxrus wrote:A hanging dead mount next to a regular Ross would really show off the difference and keep people from only "thinking" it is a Bluegoose. I always suggest people wanting a black duck and a greenhead done together to add a suzie because you will get tired of the black duck being called a suzie from the non-hunting crowd. :no:

i really might have to do that.. but then i would need to hang a snow with em, and then i would prolly get "greater snow and a lesser blue and snow." :lol3: then i'll have to go kill a greater then a swan while i'm at it and then it will get to the point that it becomes pointless.. :lol3:

not sure if i'm gonna go with the dead or the preaning yet though..

possumfoot
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:22 pm

I wouldn't do a dead mount. Not for an awesome bird like that.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby brock2ak » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:20 am

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:I wouldn't do a dead mount. Not for an awesome bird like that.

Agree. Beautiful bird by the way
brock2ak
hunter

Postby Wnykahrman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:46 am

Yup def definitely a blue phase ross,a perdy one too.
Wnykahrman
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:40 am

Possum,

Go over to the Refuge and look under the taxidermy forum. Someone just posted up about the frequency of "warts" on a Ross' bill...something like 4 out of 80 had them. They apparently put the SMACK DOWN on some Ross...80 in one trip :eek: :bow: :eek:

Poses are always a personal preference....I go by what you want to see on any given specimen. You take a bird with great coloration on it's wings and pick standing. You just covered up the best part of that bird, kinda like doing a speck with it's belly facing away from you. A hanging dead mount would show off everything with the ability of keeping it under glass where as a flying pose would top my list of poses for such a colorful bird....but that would break the bank to get it under glass.
duxrus
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:58 pm

well, something as rare as that, i hate not to put it under glass, but you make a good point.. whats the point if ya can't see what ya got..

and there are no animals (or kids), that will be around the mount, so maybe the box is me just being paranoid. lol

been told a swiffer pad and a touch of pledge is about the best thing to clean and care for mounts.. this true??

flying would fit in better and it would be alot easier to integrate future mounts into the "scene". my biggest worry is that he got shot CLOSE and may be a bit damaged.

possumfoot
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum