Another waders thread, Boot waters vs Sock waders

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Another waders thread, Boot waters vs Sock waders

Postby brookf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:57 am

Hi Guys,
My waders are shot, no idea how they get a leak in the crotch but they are done. To this point I wave always used neoprene boot waders. The problem is I'm kind of between sizes, the larger size the boots pull off my foot in thick mud, the smaller size is tight so I have problems getting them on and off. I've never used the sock fit waders and some guys I see do. Are they as warm as the boot foot ones? I do some free roam hunting so my feet are in water all day, they have never been cold in the boot fit waders. Thanks for any advice
brookf
hunter

Re: Another waders thread, Boot waters vs Sock waders

Postby coruptone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Welcome to my world. Boot waders are in my opinion the lesser of two evils. sock feet waders are a pain in the butt and you will run into the same things with the extra boots that you will have to buy. I think drake made a wader with straps on the rubber boots. One trick that i use is putting sole inserts into my wader boots too help take up the extra room. As for the mud or suck mud as i call it , if you can lean forward and try to crawl on your knees. I know this is a pain but it is the only way that i have found to move around and not get stuck.
coruptone
hunter

Postby dysco » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 pm

I use sock waders exclusively. I bought some nice (~$200) wading boots about 5 years ago and I've worn them through 5 sets of waders. They have more hiking on them than my hiking boots. They stay strong on my feet in sucking mud, and are really comfortable. I wear them year-round (fishing and hunting) and they get beaten on and I'm only now thinking about getting a new set because a lace hook broke off last year and it's annoying. Buy nice boots that fit with neoprene socks, then buy whatever waders and go. They should outlast many sets of waders.
dysco
hunter

Postby Toller_Atlas » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:54 pm

I have been using 5mm sock foot waders. The biggest difference is the lack of insulation. i I have found that my feet get cold when sitting in the blind. cant really add thicker socks as it makes the fit too tight and restricts the circulation. They are great for walking around though.
I sure am glad the dog keeps letting me borrow his truck.
Toller_Atlas
hunter

Postby dysco » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:32 am

Toller_Atlas wrote:I have been using 5mm sock foot waders. The biggest difference is the lack of insulation. i I have found that my feet get cold when sitting in the blind. cant really add thicker socks as it makes the fit too tight and restricts the circulation. They are great for walking around though.

You might try bigger boots. I normally run a bit warm, but I hunted this year in temps down to -14F and wore my waders every day with cotton athletic socks. We tell the skiing tourists that restricting blood flow to your feet by wearing two pairs of socks is colder than wearing one pair of thin socks.
dysco
hunter

Postby mike.s » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Someone help me out. How do your feet stay warm in stocking foot waders? It seems the stocking foot itself is pretty thin, and water must get in the boot, so all the insulation is worn as socks on the feet? I'd guess it's somewhat like a wetsuit, the water doesn't exchange much, so insulation in the boot helps, but not as much as with a boot foot wader (like a dry suit vs. wet suit).
mike.s
hunter

Postby dysco » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:08 pm

mike.s wrote:Someone help me out. How do your feet stay warm in stocking foot waders? It seems the stocking foot itself is pretty thin, and water must get in the boot, so all the insulation is worn as socks on the feet? I'd guess it's somewhat like a wetsuit, the water doesn't exchange much, so insulation in the boot helps, but not as much as with a boot foot wader (like a dry suit vs. wet suit).

Ice adds extra insulation. :lol3:

Really, I think the neoprene adds insulation, even if your feet are wet (like a wetsuit). You have to wear socks to hold moist air, and the boots themselves insulate you from the cold ground with a thick foam rubber sole. A hard rubber sole such as on standard rubber galoshes has a lower insulative value.
dysco
hunter

Postby mike.s » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:32 pm

dysco wrote:You have to wear socks to hold moist air, and the boots themselves insulate you from the cold ground with a thick foam rubber sole. A hard rubber sole such as on standard rubber galoshes has a lower insulative value.
Cold ground? They're waders, presumably your whole foot is in ice cold water - the ground isn't even half of it. Boot foot waders have insulation all around, including the sole. Isn't the stocking thin? You mentioned neoprene, which is pretty thick, and besides doesn't add a lot of insulation (nowhere near a 1000 gram Thinsulate). Are the stockings a standard thickness - are the boots sized larger to accommodate the stocking thickness, or ???

I picture it as "cold water gets in between the boot and stocking (there's no kind of seal, right?). Water doesn't insulate, so my feet get cold." Are the boots waterproof from both outside and inside, so the boots have insulation trapped in a waterproof compartment? Insulation doesn't do much good if it's soaked with water. If I want the same insulation/warmth as 1000g Thinsulate bootfoots, what socks do I need to wear?

I can understand stocking foot waders for fly fishing on a summer's day where you might otherwise wear the thin, rubberized canvas waders (to keep you dry more than to keep you warm) - I'm having a hard time picturing how they work in an ice cold stream in winter, where you have neoprene and fleece (or long johns) on your legs and a bunch of Thinsulate on your feet with bootfoots.

Sorry for lots of questions, I just don't understand how they work.
mike.s
hunter

Postby Toller_Atlas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 pm

I would agree with dysco. Bigger boots would let me get my heavy weight hunting socks in the waders/boots without restricting circulation. Maybe next year.

Mike S. the boots do fill with water and provide very little insulation. I am not sure if you could get socks that would match a 1000g boot foot. Maybe with electric socks or those stick on foot warmers.
I sure am glad the dog keeps letting me borrow his truck.
Toller_Atlas
hunter

Postby dysco » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:07 pm

mike.s wrote:Cold ground? They're waders, presumably your whole foot is in ice cold water - the ground isn't even half of it. Boot foot waders have insulation all around, including the sole. Isn't the stocking thin? You mentioned neoprene, which is pretty thick, and besides doesn't add a lot of insulation (nowhere near a 1000 gram Thinsulate). Are the stockings a standard thickness - are the boots sized larger to accommodate the stocking thickness, or ???

Sorry for lots of questions, I just don't understand how they work.

If there's a ton of ice on the water, why would I stand in it? :biggrin:

I keep my feet in water a few times a year while in a wet blind. That's early season. I wear fleece pants and it works fine down to 25F or so.

Right now I wear waders for two reasons: to set decoys and pick them up, and to retrieve birds the dog can't get or can't see on the river. I hunt fast water and have to be able to move pretty quickly to get any birds over the one the dog is going to get or the ones I foolishly shoot downstream of where we're standing. This means I stand on dry ground after getting into water up past my knees. I develop a thick coat of ice on those days setting decoys that might float away if I throw them in the wrong place. This ice doesn't make me more cold. I have no idea how thick my neoprene waders are since I bought them for $50 in the bargain cave. They're thick, though, and I stay warm 99% of the time. I also only hunt for a maximum of 60 minutes at a time when it's below 0F. I've never used bootfoot waders, so I can't compare them. I can only tell you what works for me now.
dysco
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:14 am

I have breathable waders now and before that I had a pair of neoprene and a cabelas brush buster rubber waders covered with a cloth liner. Neoprene is warmer and the rubber waders just sucked! Rubber is the least flexible, followed by neoprene limiting some mobility and breathable almost feel like not having waders on. The freedom of moment is just not there in the other waders.

Breathable will make you D@mn cold if you do not layer up properly. They have no insulating qualities, but I over come that with polartec pants underwear and fleece lined wader pants, plus I have room for more layers, if I wanted them. Neoprene's are cut tighter.

The breathables I have and have seen have neoprene socks, which help. I wear a size nine and for waders for size 12 and my boots are an 11. I layer up on my feet and they are warmer than when I worn boot foot waders. I find the lace up boots a PITA and want to upgrade to a pair of velcro ankle strap type boots. The tie on the boots compensates well for the bigger boots. I had to buy a pair of cheap tennis shoes to get to the water in the mornings with 4 pairs of socks on. I could not get my feet into my normal shoes even unlaced and open. :lol3:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby baltz526 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 pm

Anyone tried the Oregon Made custom waders? Price is close to the imported junk, but US made by a company that makes special forces gear. The company is USIA If you google (usia waders) It should get you close or USIA on facebook
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:47 am

With 1000 denier cordura covering your legs they are going to be pretty tough. They will not be and comfortable as standard breathables, but will be quite a bit tougher. The look very well made and if I was planning on dropping $200+ and for $100 you can get a relief zipper. It's nice having options.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum