If God had a name it would be PETE

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

If God had a name it would be PETE

Postby duckphanaticinpa » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:59 pm

I almost hate to tell this story out of embarrassment but I must give man his dues.

Set out of the launch with what seemed to be a great plan. We were going to one of my favorite spots to shoot some squaws. With more guys and gear the boat could handle we decided it would be best to run two of us and most of the decoys out and come back for the other two people. I have spent plenty of time on the water where we were hunting but the guy behind the helm was on his maiden voyage.

On our trip out we were passed by a boat that was full throttle through a section of water that is tricky to run at high tide let alone almost dead low. I commented that he must know what he is doing.

The plan was to sit on a lovely sand bar since it was low tide that cuts the channel in half. Shoot at a few squaws and move towards a better diver location once tide came up enough to force us off the sand bar.
After unloading the gear I made sure he was comfortable with where he was going (it was a whopping three turns) told him to take his time and finally "when in doubt ... Go SLOW!

After a very long time goes passed we start to realize that tide is rising and soon there after a phone call comes. They had taken a wrong turn realized it turned around and at full throttle ran her aground destroying the motor. It was after some very tense moments zig zag footwork that we got most of the gear onto some dry land. After giving up we would ever get back I see a boat coming towards us which if you knew the stretch was the most unlikely thing that could have occurred. I said thank God! and Waved him down and he made his way over. Perfect gentleman even cracked a few jokes to lighten the mood. No questions asked loaded us in the boat picked up all of our gear. It was then that he introduced himself. Pete and his dog jack. After a second of saying no way it couldn't be I asked if he was on this site. It was the infamous Pete.

Pete helped me years ago when I asked him some questions about the area. Heck even put me on birds. I thought he was a stand up guy then but now I know he is way more then that. He represents what all waterfowl hunters should try and be like.

Thank you again Pete!

A wise man once told me its a great duck hunt when you arrive back at the ramp alive. So today was a great duck hunt.

Ps Pete it isn't cool you snuck a pic of us while in distress.
duckphanaticinpa
hunter

Re: If God had a name it would be PETE

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 pm

nno!: nno!: nno!:

PETE is not a God. Would any of you pass by a pair of hunters waving from afar seemingly in distress??? Neither would I. I was just glad that the boat hadn't overturned and they weren't dying of hypothermia. We were able to retrieve all the gear so all in all everything worked out. Its too bad you didn't get any shooting but I guess you couldn't retrieve the birds so it was probably for the best. I'm just glad that the beach replenishment prevented me from driving the beach otherwise I would have been in the truck and I never would have seen them!!!

The Fickle Finger of Fate strikes again!

Pete
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 pm

I must meet this Pete one day, hoping for some better circumstances than you were faced with. Glad everything turned out OK. I was out in brigantine today and the north wind was whipping pretty good, not a good day to be stranded that's for sure!
dgram36
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:58 am

gps numbers or it did not happen!
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby DrakeS » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:00 am

Duckphan

Pete is most definitely one of the good guys!!!!

I am very happy to hear that you are all ok and safe and Pete was there to help in your situation.
Pete has to be one the nicest and most helpful guys you will ever meet. He has a wealth of knowledge and loves the sport of duck hunting.
Pete is always willing to help the new guys with any info that he can and will also invite you along if he has the room.

Pete, you’re the man!!!

Take care

Dave
U.S.C.G. OUPV Licensed Captain.
Life Time Member B.A.S.S.
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Delta Waterfowl
http://drakeswaterfowlguide.com/home
DrakeS
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 pm