bird count

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

bird count

Postby timmer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:25 pm

hey just wandering how good everybody did this year ? my bird count was exactly 300 ducks and 60 geese just wandering how everyone else did ?
timmer
hunter

Re: bird count

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 pm

timmer wrote:hey just wandering how good everybody did this year ? my bird count was exactly 300 ducks and 60 geese just wandering how everyone else did ?

you did a lot better than anybody I heard from. I got out a few times between work and school and got 31 ducks and 4 geese from the Saginaw bay area.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:08 am

timmer wrote:hey just wandering how good everybody did this year ? my bird count was exactly 300 ducks and 60 geese just wandering how everyone else did ?

Trying to understand this post :huh:

Versus, "how was everyone's year, safe no one got hurt, here's a funny story from this year, can't wait till next year, etc"....
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Weedwacker wrote:

Versus, "how was everyone's year, safe no one got hurt, here's a funny story from this year, can't wait till next year, etc"....

he wants to show of how many ducks he killed. He could care less about your season.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:33 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Weedwacker wrote:

he wants to show of how many ducks he killed. He could care less about your season.

Yep, got that from the first read of the post....

Anything with round even numbers, I am Leary of, round even not 301 and 63, 300 and 60 exactly. Great year, not sure my freezer would hold all that.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Weedwacker wrote:Great year, not sure my freezer would hold all that.

I know mine wouldn't. I was pushing it with the 2 dozen ducks and a few upland birds along with a few deer and some fish. I had to overflow into my inside freezer on the last birds of the season.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Jim1648 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Hey guys, I'm awesome. :no:
Jim1648
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:07 am

Jim1648 wrote:Hey guys, I'm awesome. :no:

Jim1648- your only awesome if you harvested 301 ducks and 61 geese!!. :bow:

Only time I count, is when I am hunting, so I don't go over the limit for the day :beer:

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:51 am

Weedwacker wrote:
Jim1648 wrote:Hey guys, I'm awesome. :no:

Jim1648- your only awesome if you harvested 301 ducks and 61 geese!!. :bow:

Only time I count, is when I am hunting, so I don't go over the limit for the day :beer:

I keep track just to compare year to year. But thick about it...we have a little over a 60 day season for ducks. If you hunt every day and limit every day that's a little over 360 ducks. :huh:

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby timmer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:38 pm

alright there im a college kid that goes to school 2 days a week and have plenty of private land to hunt and it was my first year goose hunting rand i can tell you the exact spot and kind of bird we killed from our 300th bird it was a black duck and im trying to figure out numbers of birds killed arounfd this area since i am going into wildlife managment! so before you get your panties in a bunch so just calm donw there and if you dont want to answer then dont
timmer
hunter

Postby timmer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:43 pm

oh i i forgot to mention that i eat the ducks the day i shoot them, so limits dont matter we only keep fantastic looking ducks because my dad is a taxidermist, and i hunt with a group of 4 sometimes 5 friends so those are our numbers...
timmer
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:54 pm

timmer wrote:oh i i forgot to mention that i eat the ducks the day i shoot them, so limits dont matter we only keep fantastic looking ducks because my dad is a taxidermist, and i hunt with a group of 4 sometimes 5 friends so those are our numbers...

God, you are awesome!!

I don't wear panties..... What school are you going to? Wildlife management?

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby timmer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:58 pm

right now a community college but then transferring up to lake superior state up in the U.P why you ask
timmer
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:29 pm

timmer wrote:right now a community college but then transferring up to lake superior state up in the U.P why you ask

Which community college ? I have friends with kids at LSS?.. I am a Michigan boy.

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby timmer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:29 pm

midmichigan communitry college i was going to go play baseball at alma but i didnt feel like going in debt haha where from in michigan
timmer
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:03 am

the group of 4 I hunt with averaged about 22 ducks a day and 6 to 8 geese. but I donate most of them as I can not eat that many birds. I have 6 deer in the freezers to deal with :biggrin:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby g_maxson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:23 am

timmer wrote:alright there im a college kid that goes to school 2 days a week and have plenty of private land to hunt and it was my first year goose hunting rand i can tell you the exact spot and kind of bird we killed from our 300th bird it was a black duck and im trying to figure out numbers of birds killed arounfd this area since i am going into wildlife managment! so before you get your panties in a bunch so just calm donw there and if you dont want to answer then dont

timmer wrote:oh i i forgot to mention that i eat the ducks the day i shoot them, so limits dont matter we only keep fantastic looking ducks because my dad is a taxidermist, and i hunt with a group of 4 sometimes 5 friends so those are our numbers...

I like hearing numbers and seeing how others are doing. But there is a big difference between "my" and "we" when posting head counts.

If you want to count "we", "we" killed 917 hunting anywhere from 2 to 8 people a day. Truth be told, I won't put that much effort in again. Burned lot's of vacation days, money and half way through season it really wasn't hunting anymore but was killing for the sake of putting a limit on the books. The pure enjoyment of it leaves fast when you put numbers above the experience.
Last edited by g_maxson on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 am

timmer wrote:midmichigan communitry college i was going to go play baseball at alma but i didnt feel like going in debt haha where from in michigan

Hmm, sounds like a lack of commitment towards a sport you love, baseball.... You have a great summer, cheers!

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby timmer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:58 pm

uhhh okay lol it was going to cost me 42k a year for alma ....and its d3 so more like a smart choice beside that im on a mens league still playing
timmer
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:19 am

timmer wrote:uhhh okay lol it was going to cost me 42k a year for alma ....and its d3 so more like a smart choice beside that im on a mens league still playing

42k/year, Alma is not that expensive, is it?
They are not even that good of a school....
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby timmer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:03 am

im not sure on the exact price but for me to stay over there and everything ould have been up there and yes alma is actually a very very good school... great education that whole conference is good with education like olivet, hope, alma, all great schools
timmer
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:55 pm

timmer wrote:im not sure on the exact price but for me to stay over there and everything ould have been up there and yes alma is actually a very very good school... great education that whole conference is good with education like olivet, hope, alma, all great schools

Got you on the Hope... But in that conference you left out the top school (education wise) Kalamazoo College also Tri-State (Trine) is up there.

But I guess your probably right with the other schools in that conference Alma is probably good too.

Just couldn't believe their tuition and housing is that high...
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby timmer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:17 pm

it sucks i slacked in school and didnt care about my grades that much got tones of state wide rewards for baseball but since there d3 cant give me athletic scholarships but i made the right choice going to a community college then next year transferrring to lake superior state. pretty excited
timmer
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting