7.62x39 Norinco SKS rebuild

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

7.62x39 Norinco SKS rebuild

Postby mox » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 pm

This gun was bought for me as a youngster. Since its been sold (times were hard and dad needed money) and bought back. Now, 15 yrs later I'm looking to rebuild it with a composite stock and then some...
Where to start? I know I need:
-a magazine
-new stock front to back
-scope
-rail?
And may I mention I'm in learning mode as I know nothing about this gun.
It's above the 03-A3. Help!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358562480.106090.jpg
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Re: 7.62x39 Norinco SKS rebuild

Postby mox » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:23 am

Anyone have pictures of one you've done yourself?
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby G20M1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:22 am

I think the gun looks good as is, maybe take the scope off :fingerpt: . If you do modernize it, and put a detachable mag on it you'll have to play the 922r game. http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance. BLUF no more than 10 imported parts on the gun. Like I said before the gun is in good condition, go shoot the thing.
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Postby mox » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm

G20M1 wrote:I think the gun looks good as is, maybe take the scope off :fingerpt: . If you do modernize it, and put a detachable mag on it you'll have to play the 922r game. http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance. BLUF no more than 10 imported parts on the gun. Like I said before the gun is in good condition, go shoot the thing.

Cosmetics aren't all that matter. There are a couple moving parts I need to replace 1st. Not trying to trick it out, just want to make it more comfortable for my wife and me to shoot.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby G20M1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 pm

mox wrote:
G20M1 wrote:I think the gun looks good as is, maybe take the scope off :fingerpt: . If you do modernize it, and put a detachable mag on it you'll have to play the 922r game. http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance. BLUF no more than 10 imported parts on the gun. Like I said before the gun is in good condition, go shoot the thing.

Cosmetics aren't all that matter. There are a couple moving parts I need to replace 1st. Not trying to trick it out, just want to make it more comfortable for my wife and me to shoot.

Why do you need parts is it malfunctioning if so in what way? Most parts are easily available, the gun is fairly simple. I'm not sure what you mean by more comfortable, you mean like a adjustable stock?There are tons of stocks but I believe that would activate 922r. Also hand guard rails in my experience do not hold zero, the ones that go into the rear sight recess seem to work. What is your intended purpose for the gun?
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Postby mox » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:31 pm

After scanning the gun wiki link, I'm a bit more confused. I'm really just wanting to get rid of the old stock and convert to something new, lighter, composite, more comfortable. Replace scope.

Guns purpose will be for varmint hunting mainly. May use it for wife and son deer hunting when he's ready.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby G20M1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:48 pm

The rifle was imported under a c&r(curio and relic) status, now if you replace the stock with a non original stock it would, fall under the definition of a non sporting rifle, which would make it illegal according to 922r. However, if the rifle doesn't have any of these features you have a sporting rifle:bayonet, grenade launcher, night sights, etc. If you do not want to remove these parts the rifle can not have more than 10 original imported parts on it. I know it's silly and stupid but those are the rules.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Postby mox » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 am

Ok that helps. So it doesn't matter the type of stock? Even if its a hunting stock and nothing "tactical"? I really just want to reduce the weight and make it easier to handle. Also would like a nicer scope. What are the "legal" options for doing that (if any)?

I'll try to post a pic of the broken internal part.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby G20M1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Adding a composite stock would change the status of the rifle, all you have the do is replace enough of the original parts to make it legal. So on a SKS you need to replace at least 5 original parts with new USA made parts(Tapco FTW), stock(1) broken part(2) just three more, and you are legal. The link I gave shows the parts that are counted and if they are available.
-Ayn Rand
G20M1
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum