Opening Day?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Opening Day?

Postby gone winchester » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:24 am

How was the Opening Day for yall?
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby waterfowl23 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:37 pm

well.... Around this part of ohio (by Cedar Point) they really didnt fly at all. There are like no fields down! And the ones that were down like 2 people have permission for... and I am not one of the 2, lol.... So this morning we didnt get any... but we are going to try an afternoon hunt!
waterfowl23
hunter

Postby vanvo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:15 pm

for the weekend between three of us. we downed 15 geese, two of which had leg bands and 12 teal. there are many geese in the area but most of them stay within the city limits.
vanvo
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:31 pm

Two teal opening day. I was a bit disapointed to say the least, saw quite a bit more, but I happned to have a skybusting partner whom I'd have prefered not to have been with scaring all the birds away. As a matter of fact I had one flock of geese coming when he unloaded 6 rounds on a mallard at about 60 yards. Yes, that is when I found out that he didn't have a plug in his gun, nor did he know that he needed a plug and I realized that he had no idea that mallard wasn't even in season yet. :pissed:

I'm heading out agian tomorrow, I'll be hunting a wheat field in Castaila. Unfortuantly the guy I'm going with said that they have yet to take a bird out of that field yet. Hopefully things will change tomorrow.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gone winchester » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:03 pm

yeah I read about your skybuster earier! Good luck tomarrow when you go out :salude:
gone winchester
Banned

New to know where to go in central Ohio

Postby FemDuckHunter » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:44 pm

Hello. I'm new to the Columbus area and I'm need to know where the publice duck/geese hunting areas are. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the subject?
FemDuckHunter
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:04 am

Fem you could have tried for a blind at Alum Creek, which isn't the best but can produce a few birds, also I believe Big Island isn't too far, not real sure not from the area
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:28 pm

Probably best to spend some time on research:

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/default.htm

After you locate the areas you want to try, I HIGHLY recommend scouting them out for access. All these lands get very crowded.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Boomn4x4 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:03 am

:withstupid:

Scouting is key when hunting public land. There will be some productive hunting, but you will need to find these spots. Don't just pull off the side of the road and hunt a bank. The best is to get into difficult places, basically you need to go where most aren't willing to.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gone winchester » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:43 am

The key to public land is to go where no one will go. Its your best chance for great sucess, not saying everywhere else is bad but you know what I mean
gone winchester
Banned

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting