color of lab

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

color of lab

Postby biggmc1986 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:00 pm

Do you guys and gals think that the color of your lab has anything to do with his/her ability to work in the field. Does color really matter
biggmc1986
Newb

Re: color of lab

Postby rookie20011 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:13 pm

CHOCOLATE!!!!!!
rookie20011
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:41 pm

These threads can be interesting

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Come on Ryan you know the answer to that. But if you need a little education just let me know.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:11 pm

absolutely nothing to do with performance. i researched it a ton.

i have a black. i do think that the blacks, and chocolates especially, look more mangy as they get older. i also don't like the red/gum colored noses and jowls of some yellows and some chocolates. i really like how the darker, not quite red, yellow labs look with black noses and black gums look. blacks look the coolest covered in ice when it's zero degrees IMO.

Blacks and yellows are definitely the cutest as puppies IMHO.
This is from Saturday.

734147_10151227878337135_1477816122_n.jpg
black ice cube on the right
734147_10151227878337135_1477816122_n.jpg (31.52 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby Perro Negro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:23 am

All dogs are,... or want to be a black labrador. LOL.
Perro Negro
hunter

Postby Tilden » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:28 am

I like and have a black lab because it matches the color of my couch.
Tilden
hunter

Postby Squishy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Chocolates, reds, whites, and silvers are genetic throwback mutations. Thanks to backyard breeding, I can't wait to see the hot new color next year...
The dog Cursan's Perfect Limit JH
The gun Beretta AL390 (Snake River Arms custom)
The call Echo XLT
Squishy
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:00 am

Eons ago my father and I raised labs (primarily black) back in Louisiana mostly for ourselves. Occasionally we had brought in a golden or we had a yellow lab in a litter but we never saw one ounce of difference. What I did find interesting was that inevitably it was the non-papered lab that was the best retriever. By that I do not mean a lab mix but labs that did not have AKC heritage or papers. My dad once bought a lab that was papered up the kazoo but was the worst dog we ever tried to train. I'm not saying that if a lab has blue blood it will not be any good, we ended up not worrying about getting a lab without papers. We also did not worry about the color but we did prefer the black labs just as a matter of personal preference. I will probably look for one after this season is over.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:33 am

Doesn't matter one bit if you know how to train them. Go to hunt tests and you will see amazing blacks, yellows, and choc's. I hunt with a black and yellow right now that are both fantastic duck dogs, and have a family member with two chocolates that are very impressive hunters.
I also agree that people can get too wrapped up in the pedigree. Blood lines definitely do matter in terms of getting the "type" of personality and instinct that you want, but they don't guarantee a thing. Put in the work and do the training correctly and you will have a great dog regardless of the color you go with.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby duckdogID » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 pm

It doesn't matter a bit about the color of the dog. Its about the drive of the dog and how you work with it.
As for lines I like to know my dog comes from a proven back ground. My chocolate has ok lines my yellow has great lines and there both hard hunters with no stop in them.

twsnow18 wrote: look with black noses and black gums look. blacks look the coolest covered in ice when it's zero degrees IMO.

Nah Id say yellow and brown! :biggrin:
Attachments
gage with ice.jpg
deik iced up.jpg
"The meat dont fry if the lead dont fly" "God only gives us so many sunrises. I don't see any need to miss one of 'em."
:sniper:
duckdogID
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:15 pm

haha good looking dogs there duckdogID. even though the ice doesn't contrast as well on your yellow there. gotta love the ice cycle whiskers.

isn't that a black in your avatar?
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:55 pm

I think the blacks have an advantage in cold weather (if the sun is out).

More important than color is whether their lineage, going back four generations on each side, has their hips and elbows certified by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals . There should be two OFA numbers for each dog; one for the hips, another for their elbows. If you don't care about that stuff you might as well get a lab from the pound and not pay money for what could turn out to be a junk dog that racks up a lot of vet bills.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm

First off there are only 3 reconized colors BLK, YLW and CHOC. Theres a lot of speculation that the silver lines have some weimeramer in them.

Anyway, Ive only owned choc labs so Im not plugging this from a black lab bias.

This theory all stems from the FACT that the within the labrador geneology the gene pool is much smaller on the choc/yellow side vs the black lab side. What this means is that you run a higher risk of inbreeding and/or having to overlook some traits when line breeding for the choc or yellow color. This was much more of a problem 20 years ago than it is today. As such you MAY see a lower level of hunting desire in these two colors vs a black dog, since they are more often breed for color/looks first rather than hunting ability.

Whats this all mean? Actually not much. Research the breeding of the dog your going to get... if you care. Some people dont. If you, do look for black factored choc or yellows. Meaning one or both the parents where black or were produced from blks. Today its not uncommon to find two blk that produce black yellow and choc pups in the same litter. Another thing. Its also usually a good idea to see kind of breedings been taking place in the linage i.e hunt tests, field trials or more show lines. The hunt lines are likly to produce a pup with a stronger hunt desire vs a dog that has been repeditly chosen for looks. Not always the case, but the odds are in favor of it. Most any dog will retrieve and can be trained to retrieve. However a dog with a linage full of senior hunters or trial champs indicates selective breeding for certain traits such as trainability and desire to retrieve. If im going to spend 700-1000 on a puppy I want to stack the odds in my favor.

Personally I look for parents, grandparents to be at least a JR hunter (senior prefered) with a strong hunt test/field trial showing in earlier breedings. I like a little field trial blood in there but not much and preferably back in the grandparents or later. I think trial dogs are too hyper at least for my style of hunting.

i second the genetic disorder testing criteria mentioned above. Anyone breeding dogs today who doesnt do this is a criminal
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby duckdogID » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:45 pm

twsnow18 wrote:haha good looking dogs there duckdogID. even though the ice doesn't contrast as well on your yellow there. gotta love the ice cycle whiskers

isn't that a black in your avatar?

No it's actually my chocolate boy, he's a real dark chocolate so in the wrong light he looks almost black.
"The meat dont fry if the lead dont fly" "God only gives us so many sunrises. I don't see any need to miss one of 'em."
:sniper:
duckdogID
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:09 am

when the english first started to bring labs to england only blacks every time they would throw a yellow they would be culled out they would go back to newfoundland and constantly bring in new stock while breeding fianally after a 100 years or so some dutchess thought yellows were cool so she started breeding those still culling the choclates she too kept inhanchancing to keep bloodlines "fresh" ALL choclates are from the same dog and bitch if you look back on their pedigrees
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:55 am

Correct which is why you should buy black factored chocolates i.e. at least one of the parents is black. Same holds true for yellows
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:51 pm

I have read in many Labrador books that you can trace back EVERY chocolate lab to the same 2 dogs! The original breeders "culled" every color that a pair of blacks threw. Some duchess decided after 100 years or so she would take all yellows that were thrown and she kept going back to Newfoundland to energize the breed, same can not be said about the chocolates :fingerpt: I am just saying! I know I have had a few yellows and they shed 24-7 12 months out of the year and i have read this fact in many books too :fingerhead: I am a strong believer in keeping with the blacks there are so many more breeding opportunities out there :yes:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Your correct that the choc line started from 2 dogs. But with back breeding to blacks,inbreeding isnt an issue so long as you check the breeding. If the choc line had continued to be line breed choc to choc it would be an issue. pups get genetics from both parents so as long as they arent line bred for color everything should be good...all else being taken into account i.e breedings based on hunting ability conformation ect.
phutch30
hunter

Postby hntndux » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:52 pm

I currently have a Choc. he is 6 years old and has more desire than any other lab i have owned, I had him trained when he was the 18 months old, he has been a great dog. The only problem EIC Exercise Induced Collapse, I would never buy another Lab from any breeder that doesnt have this gene information. It doenst showup until they are 3. Nothing worse than watching your buddy have a seizure in the blind, just cause some idiot thought it would be cool to breed "trials" energy into Labs. He is the 2nd dog Ive known to have it, but thats too many..
hntndux
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Get a Chessie. The only thing they do is duck hunt and they all come in camo. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 pm

I have a chocolate and she's great. I personally believe color makes no diffence, unless they are inbreed or line breed, additionally I do not agree with breeding silvers, but that's my on opinion.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:37 am

hntndux wrote:I currently have a Choc. he is 6 years old and has more desire than any other lab i have owned, I had him trained when he was the 18 months old, he has been a great dog. The only problem EIC Exercise Induced Collapse, I would never buy another Lab from any breeder that doesnt have this gene information. It doenst showup until they are 3. Nothing worse than watching your buddy have a seizure in the blind, just cause some idiot thought it would be cool to breed "trials" energy into Labs. He is the 2nd dog Ive known to have it, but thats too many..

Are you sure your dog has EIC? Have you had blood work sent to the university of Minnesota to see if he is truly EIC Affected? An episode of EIC is very different from a seizure. What exactly do you mean by breeding "trials" energy into labs?
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:58 am

rlvallee wrote:I have a chocolate and she's great. I personally believe color makes no diffence, unless they are inbreed or line breed, additionally I do not agree with breeding silvers, but that's my on opinion.

TomKat
Dorothy

Postby phutch30 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:03 pm

My last lab had EIC. At the time the local vets didnt even know what it was. He was one of the first diagnosed.

He would be fine until he got heated up the he lost all control in his hind quarters. He didnt even raize it happened. Cool him off for a bit and he was good to go until he over heated again. Never a prob duck hunting b\ut happened all the time in the summmer.
phutch30
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting