looking for product

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

looking for product

Postby quack wackr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:29 am

just wonderng if anyone knows what product i can use. i mounted a bluebill a little while ago, i was looking at it closer today and i noticed a faint yellow line has appeared along the belly where i sewed it shut. does anyone know what i can use to get the yellow tint out and the feathers white again ? bird has been dry about a month. i tried using a clorox bleach pen , that didnt seem to work.

thanks for any advice.
quack wackr
hunter

Re: looking for product

Postby DuckManWest » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:16 pm

I dealt with same issue when I first started mounting birds some time ago. My bird was leaking grease due to not getting all the fat off the skin. It cleaned up with mineral spirits, but continued to leak for a few months. Once I mastered the wheel, no more grease leaks.
Not sure if this is the issue you are dealing with, but I suspect it is. I am sure someone else will give their thoughts on this.
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:50 pm

What he said. Keep it in a cool place, and it will be less likely to bleed grease. get better on the wheel, or get a wheel. Leaving grease behind will show color, but worse yet, is dermisted beetles that will munch on your mounts.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quack wackr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:36 pm

DuckManWest wrote:I dealt with same issue when I first started mounting birds some time ago. My bird was leaking grease due to not getting all the fat off the skin. It cleaned up with mineral spirits, but continued to leak for a few months. Once I mastered the wheel, no more grease leaks.
Not sure if this is the issue you are dealing with, but I suspect it is. I am sure someone else will give their thoughts on this.

did you rub it on he feathers with a q-tip ? also its only my 6th bird iv mounted and i though i did the best job yet on it with the wheel, but i guess not . i did a ring neck today and spent more time on the wheel with it also i used more borax and i lined the inside of the skin with a cheesecloth before i mounted it to hopefully obsorb any grease i may have missed.

does mieral spirits work on iron stains ? i have hen and her chest is totally orange, would i be able to clean that ? id like to know because i wont bother mounting it if not.
quack wackr
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:35 pm

I used a cottonball w/mineral spirits for the grease.
As far as the stains go, you could try Whinks or Iron-out. Whinks works well. Q-tip works well to apply.
Cheesecloth? My guess is it will still leak some grease. Pete may have more insight on that one.
Bottom line, remove the fat down to the quills and you will have a grease free mount.
Good luck!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum