Divers on Lake Michigan

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Divers on Lake Michigan

Postby jacobv75 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 pm

Do divers hang around close to shore and pier heads on Lake Michigan?
jacobv75
hunter

Re: Divers on Lake Michigan

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:00 am

when it is not frozen, Then they hang at the edge of the ice in my experience.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jacobv75 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Or how to do you hunt em on the lake with no layout boat just a 14 ft john boat and a 18 ft fishing boat? :huh:
jacobv75
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 am

jacobv75 wrote:Or how to do you hunt em on the lake with no layout boat just a 14 ft john boat and a 18 ft fishing boat? :huh:

build a blind for either and hunt out of it. Just grass it up real good. Just know your limits on open water. That jon boat could be sketchy if it isnt wide.
Type "raffia blinds" into the search bar in the boat forum to see what I'm talking about. :thumbsup:

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:38 pm

my side of the lake, we have mergansers hanging around the shores, and divers out on the open water. depends on the day, if its calm water and no wind they are out 5-10 miles. if we have a north wind and ruff water they come in closer to shore.
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby nctaxi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:54 am

what kind of divers ya'll killing up in Michigan??...any good guides up there to recommend??...would like to get in on a good goldeneye shoot...
nctaxi
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:49 am

nctaxi wrote:what kind of divers ya'll killing up in Michigan??...any good guides up there to recommend??...would like to get in on a good goldeneye shoot...

we get just about every species of diver ducks and most sea ducks. I'm not sure if Fish Point Lodge on the Saginaw bay guides diver hunts, but I know they do a great job with puddle duck hunts and fishing. Could give them a call and find out a little more.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:42 pm

jacobv75 wrote:Do divers hang around close to shore and pier heads on Lake Michigan?

Are you interested on hunting west side or east side of Michigan ? UP , northern , central or southern Michigan ? It's a big state when your hunting.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 am

I'll go out on a limb here and guess since he was asking about hunting the pier heads on lake MI, and since he asked in the MI forum as opposed to WI, IL, or IN, that he was referring to the West Side.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting