NJ Boating Question

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

NJ Boating Question

Postby dgram36 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:10 am

I have the opportunity to buy a sneak boat, motor and trailer for cheap. This will be my first boat in New Jersey. The only catch is that the boat and trailer are homemade and neither have a title or registration. My question to the more experienced guys is can I register the boat and trailer, what will I need and how much of a pain in the ass will it be. I haven't bought the boat yet so if its not feasible I won't buy it. Thanks for your help!
dgram36
hunter

Re: NJ Boating Question

Postby Mariuch » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:31 am

I believe all you need is a notarized letter from the seller, describing the the sneakbox and trailer. Your best bet is just to swing by your local Motor vehicle commission and ask them. Good Luck
Mariuch
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:40 am

Mariuch wrote:I believe all you need is a notarized letter from the seller, describing the the sneakbox and trailer. Your best bet is just to swing by your local Motor vehicle commission and ask them. Good Luck

Yeah, that's what I was hoping. I just got kind of thrown off by the MVD website cause it says I need receipts of purchase for all the materials and have to go to the police marine division to get a hull ID. Just don't want to get screwed on not being able to register it at all. I prob should go to the DMV and get some info but its always so mobbed I figured I could get some info from you guys.
dgram36
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Id be willing to bet that a notarized letter from the seller is NOT all you need at DMV. In fact, I think you will regret the entire experience. This is based on my experience doing exactly what youve explained. The deal is simply to ggod to be true.
FFT
hunter

Postby waterfowlwiz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Dont even bother with it.. the letter wont cut it.. you'l also need all reciepts for all the parts used to make the boat and trailer unless they had it registered before. before you go and buy a 1000 dollars worth of crap just to return it i'de find a legit boat.
thats why you see alot of boats on craiglist that say no title 500 bucks. because unless you have a boat that is similar to use the numbers off of your beat.
waterfowlwiz
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:49 pm

:ditto:
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I think deep down inside I already knew the answer, but what can I say, I've been bit by the new boat bug. Maybe Im just compensating for the fact that waterfowl season is pretty much over for me! I think the women call that retail therapy. Guess ill just have to save up more for a legitimately titled boat. Thanks for the advice guys, I owe you one.
dgram36
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting