First Band

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

First Band

Postby Hilltopflyway » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 am

How do I preserve a goose foot? I shot my first band yesterday and I have no need for a goose mount, but would like to keep the leg with the band.
Casey McDowell
Hilltopflyway
hunter

Re: First Band

Postby wantingapintail » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 am

Borax
2010/2011 Season Totals
wantingapintail
hunter

Postby kruse » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am

Congrats on your first band. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
kruse
hunter

Postby Hilltopflyway » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:35 pm

It has taken me some time over 20+ years of water fowling and finally. :grooving:
Casey McDowell
Hilltopflyway
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Throw it in your lanyard, isn't that what the cool guys do? :lol3:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:00 pm

Borax is not the answer. if you truly want to preserve the leg and band, then you will need to inject the foot. This single foot is going to be a slight investment though. Ii I was interested in saving the leg, I would remove it, tie off the top of the leg where the skin meets the feather, and then inject it with master's blend. It is a two part resin that will plump up the foot, and harden it like a rock. Another idea would be to have it bronzed. 3 legged lab knows a guy, and Brian (DUXRUS) actually does business through the guy, and has had turkey skulls and feet done using this method. Personally, I would put it on my key chain. That's where I have my first one. It's shined to a beautiful luster over the years of it clanging around against those keys.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Pete-pec wrote:Borax is not the answer. if you truly want to preserve the leg and band, then you will need to inject the foot. This single foot is going to be a slight investment though. Ii I was interested in saving the leg, I would remove it, tie off the top of the leg where the skin meets the feather, and then inject it with master's blend. It is a two part resin that will plump up the foot, and harden it like a rock. Another idea would be to have it bronzed. 3 legged lab knows a guy, and Brian (DUXRUS) actually does business through the guy, and has had turkey skulls and feet done using this method. Personally, I would put it on my key chain. That's where I have my first one. It's shined to a beautiful luster over the years of it clanging around against those keys.

I know a guy locally who does bronzing work. If anyone wants his contact info, pm me.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:09 pm

shootable Goose wrote:
Pete-pec wrote:Borax is not the answer. if you truly want to preserve the leg and band, then you will need to inject the foot. This single foot is going to be a slight investment though. Ii I was interested in saving the leg, I would remove it, tie off the top of the leg where the skin meets the feather, and then inject it with master's blend. It is a two part resin that will plump up the foot, and harden it like a rock. Another idea would be to have it bronzed. 3 legged lab knows a guy, and Brian (DUXRUS) actually does business through the guy, and has had turkey skulls and feet done using this method. Personally, I would put it on my key chain. That's where I have my first one. It's shined to a beautiful luster over the years of it clanging around against those keys.

I know a guy locally who does bronzing work. If anyone wants his contact info, pm me.

Make sure that the legs get injected whether they get bronzed or not. If you don't they will shrivel right up. I have had turkey and pheasant legs done with great success.
duxrus
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum