Idiot Duck Hunters in North Alabama

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Idiot Duck Hunters in North Alabama

Postby redlegs78 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:47 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to deal with these "Duck Dynasty" hunters. You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones that scout by running the entire perimeter of a body of water instead of glassing. The hail calls in timber. The sky busters. I've had several hunts ruined by folks. The worst two occasions were these goobers setting up next to me and shooting coots while Redheads are in the air and last Saturday, I had some idiots running and gunning a HUGE group of Canvasbacks that I had been watching for days. They are gone now. Hopefully, the Game Warden caught up with those guys as he was on the bank watching them. But seriously, how are y'all dealing with these guys, I mean we can't shoot them. Can we?
redlegs78
hunter

Re: Idiot Duck Hunters in North Alabama

Postby jw261 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 pm

I doubt shooting them would be a good idea. In South Alabama they all left now that hunting is getting a little tougher and deer season/rut is in full swing. But God knows, they were out all last month bothering the hell out of us too.
jw261
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 pm

lol r u hunting swan creek or guntervilles both places are filled up with duck dynasty wannabes best thang to do is hunt someweres else theirs no good way to deal with those kinda people without gettin in trouble
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby redlegs78 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:07 am

Duck Dynasty has also made it impossible to find face paint!
redlegs78
hunter

Postby robert331 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:06 am

I like telling them about the old honey hole that nobody has killed a duck in in years. Be careful hunting public land I have caught two people redhanded throwing out corn.
robert331
hunter

Postby redlegs78 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Robert, I'll keep a lookout for the corn and thats a great idea about the honey hole! Jack Lowe, if I've learned anything from your advice on this site, it's not to advertise where a BIG group of canvasbacks is hanging out!! lol I hunt North Alabama from Decatur to Georgia. That's as good as I'll do buddy! lol

Everybody have a safe last weekend!!
redlegs78
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm from north AL, but stationed in NW LA. Never duck hunted once up there, but if ya'll think it's bad up there, come on down here.... :no: :no: :no:
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby Duckbling12 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:06 am

I've seen it for years... it was that way long before the DD guys showed up on National TV
I've learned to do three things, 1.) get a boat and go for a drive, be surprised at what you can find out in open public water the walk-in's won't be able to get to. 2.) If you can't find a boat, can't afford a boat, don't have a boat, then hoof it... walk further than most would think to walk and scout, and finally 3.) Get in a nice club of private land and don't worry about all the bubba's out there.
And in just like all things, if you have patience and you work hard, you will have success... for today's guys duck hunting is a fad... once they figure out they can't kill ducks and are constantly get yelled at by people that know what's up then they will fade away... seen it happen over and over.
Duckbling12
hunter

Postby Bamaducks256 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 am

jack lowe wrote:lol r u hunting swan creek or guntervilles both places are filled up with duck dynasty wannabes best thang to do is hunt someweres else theirs no good way to deal with those kinda people without gettin in trouble

Yeah there is in swan creek if they aren't far enough away go run them off and show them in the bilaws on the back of the swan creek permit that they aren't far enough away. Also if you know what you are doing when it comes to duck hunting you can still shoot good numbers of ducks with duck dynasty wannabes just 100yrds away. I hunted public land in north al all year and did great because I knew what I was doing unlike those wannabes. So the more y'all get worked up over them the worse your hunt will be. My advice don't worry about them and do your own thing.
Bamaducks256
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Bamaducks256 wrote:
jack lowe wrote:lol r u hunting swan creek or guntervilles both places are filled up with duck dynasty wannabes best thang to do is hunt someweres else theirs no good way to deal with those kinda people without gettin in trouble

Yeah there is in swan creek if they aren't far enough away go run them off and show them in the bilaws on the back of the swan creek permit that they aren't far enough away. Also if you know what you are doing when it comes to duck hunting you can still shoot good numbers of ducks with duck dynasty wannabes just 100yrds away. I hunted public land in north al all year and did great because I knew what I was doing unlike those wannabes. So the more y'all get worked up over them the worse your hunt will be. My advice don't worry about them and do your own thing.

nailed it !!!!
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby redlegs78 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Bamaducks, you are absolutely right on! I basically decided to use them to my advantage, by being flexible we were able to move quickly and try to be set up for flaring birds from the others... Seems the game wardens were able to catch a few of the run and gun shooters. Enjoy the offseason fellas!!
redlegs78
hunter

Postby 1mottledDuck » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:10 pm

I've lived and hunted in North Alabama my whole life. I can tell you that most of these "idiot hunters" you are describing are mostly people from other states, kids who have rich parents and no supervision, and other hunters who think they own the lake.
I would venture to say that this problem is commonplace about any where you chose to go. Just wait until deer season gets going good and they will thin out. Patience is a virtue in this case.
1mottledDuck
Newb

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting