A first on the last

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, MIKE J., HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D

A first on the last

Postby Joser06 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Had some time to do a bunch of jump shooting at today's low tide. First creek I came to I put up a flock of black ducks and quickly limited out with the first shot (man they need to up the limit on these things, one bird and you are done....). I continued along that creek and I had put up at least another 12 black ducks that flushed within thirty feet. It would have been nice if they were mallards. Also had a golden eye drake bust me on a creek bend, I would have loved to have shot that! Well I was finishing off the first marsh when I put up a 15 black duck flock that had an oddball duck right in the middle. No shot... I kept going up that creek and jumped another large flock of blacks with a odd duck. This time the odd duck chose a different direction than the rest of the flock. One shot and bird takes a dirt nap. As it was falling, I see a white speculum. Gadwall!!! So I grab that bird and move on to the next marsh. I put up more black ducks but still can't shoot anymore and I creep up of a Gaddy pair and I got the drake on the first shot and missed the hen with the next two..... Last day of the season and I shoot two drakes of a bird I have never seen before and killed three birds with three shots. What a great way to end this season!

Joser06
hunter

Re: A first on the last

Postby duckstopper333 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Good job. It looks like they were pretty well feathered out.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Congrats on the Gaddy's and Black Duck :thumbsup:

I wish they would manage the 60 day season for more late season hunting. The species that show up this time of year is awesome. I know of Red Heads, Cans and a Tufted duck that were shot this week in the coastal zone.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby spreademandshootem » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:34 am

Jump shooting is like nothing else. I don't know about where you are but I end up having to cross so many f-in channel and creeks in the coastal area that I'm spent after I get to first couple groups. I do enjoy going along overgrown bogs through either way it makes for an exciting hunt. Nice Work!
spreademandshootem
hunter

Postby cape-shot » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 am

Very cool birds and nice way to end the season!
cape-shot
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Nice Gaddy's. Here's one I took in my sweetwater blind about 6 years ago during the first half.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 pm

MIKE J. wrote:

I know of Red Heads, Cans and a Tufted duck that were shot this week in the coastal zone.

Back in the mid eighties I was dating a girl whose family lived on a hill overlooking a cove on Billington Sea. During a freeze up, the open water in the cove was loaded with Cans, Redheads and Widgeon all at once. Quite a sight to see. I don't know if this still happens but I was amazed even back then to see them.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting