Best Boat to hunt from Houston to East TX Areas

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Best Boat to hunt from Houston to East TX Areas

Postby TexasGreenHead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 pm

What do you guys recommend for two hunters and two dozen decoys. I have to cross some big water sometimes (Sommerville, Conroe, Sam Rayburn) but usually not very far and typically hunt in 1ft or less of water. Like to get back in small hidden lakes through creeks off of the big lakes too.

14 or 16ft? 42, 48, or xx width? Flat or Semi V? Hull thickness? Outboard or Mud Motor?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
TexasGreenHead
hunter

Re: Best Boat to hunt from Houston to East TX Areas

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:02 am

I own a ProDrive mud boat that I am thinking about selling... PM me for more details!!

Last edited by Mojo281 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 am

It's a pretty sweet boat, I have seen it and can vouch.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 am

Jet
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:41 pm

Duck Collector wrote:Jet

Obviously you've never ran a boat in East Texas... And don't say Livingston, bc that chit is weak!!

Good luck running your jet drive in this...
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Mojo281 wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:Jet

Obviously you've never ran a boat in East Texas... And don't say Livingston, bc that chit is weak!!

Good luck running your jet drive in this...

Haha no livingston is sandy where i hunt...rite next to the campgrounds :thumbsup: hard bottom or semi-hard bottom, my jet would run shallow(er) and way faster than your SD. They are pretty sick though...im getting one next season even though i dont need it...i want to be able to shoot lillies and run through mud just for the hell of it.

On the other hand...i run my mercury long shaft through cypress knees and timber like that. Hit bottom=more throttle - hit stump=mottor pops up - stuck on under water tree=shake motor, give it more throttle. I have a mud motor just nobody else thinks so. :lol3: and yes, i can jump mud bars 25ft wide or less.

If i can take not only an outboard through that crap but a merc, longshaft...then im pretty sure a jet can too..
Last edited by Duck Collector on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:28 pm

And when you say "east" what exactly is "east"? Does Groves and Rayburn count?
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 pm

All depends in what you are looking for and where you want to take it. Surface drives are pretty handy but do you hunt and fish or just hunt. I myself fish a lot so I bought a boat with an outboard. While I have no doubt you can fish with a surface drive it is just not practical for me. Trolling for stripes and white bass I can't see happening. I can run my out board in 8" of water no problem but very heavy vegetation will bog it down. Stumps I avoid by charting out my courses in day light with the gps, and a steel prop. If you aren't going balls to the wall you just get a little bump and keep on. I hunt often in a stump infested lake and it has not been a problem for me.
On the boat I will say you should get one a size bigger than you think you need. It seems you can never have enough room.
I have a tracker grizzly 1754sc with a 50hp merc. Love that boat. I have also had 2 other john boats but outgrew both. 12' & 14 foot flat bottom. The 14 footer was great for very tight an shallow spaces but limited room. I also like a semi v hull over a flat for a little bigger and rougher water. Again my preference.

Hope this helps some. Good luck on the boat.
And for those surface drive guys. I'm not knocking um. If I could afford 2 boats I would be running one.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby TexasGreenHead » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Mojo281 wrote:I own a ProDrive mud boat that I am thinking about selling... PM me for more details!!

Awesome setup. It's just way out of my price range. I'm wanting to keep it around $8-10k. Thanks.
Last edited by TexasGreenHead on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasGreenHead
hunter

Postby TexasGreenHead » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Barney#1 wrote:All depends in what you are looking for and where you want to take it. Surface drives are pretty handy but do you hunt and fish or just hunt. I myself fish a lot so I bought a boat with an outboard. While I have no doubt you can fish with a surface drive it is just not practical for me. Trolling for stripes and white bass I can't see happening. I can run my out board in 8" of water no problem but very heavy vegetation will bog it down. Stumps I avoid by charting out my courses in day light with the gps, and a steel prop. If you aren't going balls to the wall you just get a little bump and keep on. I hunt often in a stump infested lake and it has not been a problem for me.
On the boat I will say you should get one a size bigger than you think you need. It seems you can never have enough room.
I have a tracker grizzly 1754sc with a 50hp merc. Love that boat. I have also had 2 other john boats but outgrew both. 12' & 14 foot flat bottom. The 14 footer was great for very tight an shallow spaces but limited room. I also like a semi v hull over a flat for a little bigger and rougher water. Again my preference.

Hope this helps some. Good luck on the boat.
And for those surface drive guys. I'm not knocking um. If I could afford 2 boats I would be running one.

Great advice - thank you. Does your Tracker Grizzly have the Factory Aluminum Floor? Seems like a solid built boat. Was your 14ft a Grizzly too? Thanks again!
TexasGreenHead
hunter

Postby justinmi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Hey boss you might want to check out mudmotortalk.com. They have used rigs on there for sale if you really want a mud motor, but don't wanna break the bank. If you are patient you might get a pretty good deal on one. The rig below was purchased for $1700 trailer and all. You might not find a deal that good, but you never know. Good luck, hope you get what you need.
Attachments
IMAG1012-1.jpg
One hell of a deal!
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Great advice - thank you. Does your Tracker Grizzly have the Factory Aluminum Floor? Seems like a solid built boat. Was your 14ft a Grizzly too? Thanks again![/quote]

Yes it did come with a floor from the factory.
My 14' john boat was a alumacraft from academy. One of those $600 dollar jobs.
Tracker does make some surface drive models too. I believe I saw one at bass pro for around $11,000 but it ain't nothing like the rigs pictured above.
Barney#1
hunter

Postby TexasGreenHead » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:33 pm

justinmi wrote:Hey boss you might want to check out mudmotortalk.com. They have used rigs on there for sale if you really want a mud motor, but don't wanna break the bank. If you are patient you might get a pretty good deal on one. The rig below was purchased for $1700 trailer and all. You might not find a deal that good, but you never know. Good luck, hope you get what you need.

Wow ... :clapping:

That's one of those "Do you want me to pay you in $100 bills right now?" moments. Awesome deal!
TexasGreenHead
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting