need professional help

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

need professional help

Postby FowlLife74 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Hey guys I need a professional taxidermists help I'm mounting my first duck and I'm using the original head. My question is how do i prep the head before using.
Thanks, Neal
FowlLife74
hunter

Re: need professional help

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Well, I'm not a pro, but I've got a general idea.

At the base of the skull, you need to cut a slit about an inch long down the back of the neck so you can squeeze the skull out to get the brains, meat, and fat off/out. Afterwords you put the head back in and stitch it back up. Not really much more I can tell ya.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Re: need professional help

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 am

I responded to your original post thinking you were using an artificial head, so I apologize for wasting both of our time. If you search through the archives, it is there. There are several methods. Cutting the back of the head is one, as a matter of fact, one that Brian (duxrus) uses. I cut around the bill as if I was going to skin it and replace it with n artificial. The fleshing is much easier in my opinion, and simple to do. Rebuilding the head is something I rarely do any longer, but I think it is something you should learn. Cougar highlighted the finer points. Basically remove all the brain matter and flesh, and rebuild it with clay or epoxie sculpt. I prefer the rigidity that sculpt offers. After removing the head, you can trace the outline both top and side, and replace this "flesh" with whatever you wish. I try not to cut the skin whenever possible, although I certainly did when I started. I like to be able to inject clay=based wallpaper paste through the ear hole to allow me to fill the crop, neck and head of the bird to allow for added plumpness and fill areas that may need some filling.

I would really consider using an artificial head though I think you should learn multiple methods. The artificial head can cost a bit more, but you will put in more man hours, and wind up with a slightly (sorry Brian) I repeat slightly inferior bill do to some shrinkage. I repeat Brian it is slight, and some artificial heads certainly have their flaws as well, but are in the long run, much easier to use. Tony Finazzo sells heads pretty darn cheap, and they are just fine. Around 8 bucks.

If you would take more time, and search the archives, you will probably find your answers several times.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum