Beginning taxidermy help

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Beginning taxidermy help

Postby Greeny » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Are certain duck species harder to mount? I was thinking about starting with a wood duck because that is the main duck species that I get around here but would it be so mutch harder than a mallard, teal, or other ducks that I should hold out for a different duck for my first time? Any help is appreciated :smile:
Greeny
hunter

Re: Beginning taxidermy help

Postby tam9492 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Woodie is a BAD idea to start with. They have super thin skin and are a pain in the neck to flesh properly. Mallards can be better but not much. A diving duck is your best bet until you get the hang of things.
tam9492
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:21 am

You truly need to learn the basics before learning to taxi. I would suggest a ruddy duck or a coot for first birds. Skinning and fleshing will teach you what is most important....anatomy, how to skin, and how to flesh. The coots anatomy is different than a duck, but the skin is like leather. This allows you to learn wheeling (get or make a wheel) on a skin that is very forgiving. A ruddy duck has thick skin as well, is a small bird, so you don't get in too deep, and they very rarely have pinfeathers to deal with. The best thing, is neither bird is one you wouldn't mind tossing when you make your mistakes. After learning how to skin, flesh, and the fundamentals of taxidermy like running wires, then gradually work into birds that have less forgiving skin. Mallard, teal, shovelers, wood duck are a bear for newbies, but I can flesh them without holes. Their skin is certainly thin, but there fat is far less viscous, and is somewhat a trade off. I flesh a wet skin, and took Pat's advice, and flesh from the head working to the tail, removing the membrane that wants to wrap around the wheel. Skinning a bird around the bill of the duck allows you to invert the entire bird, making fleshing that much easier.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greeny » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks both of you I'm thinking about doing up a rabbit or squirrel maybe a goose to get my wings wet alittle I will save wood ducks for a time that I'm more experienced only after I do a coot,mallard,or diver thanks I will post any more questions if needed
Greeny
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum