Tithing

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, La. Hunter, Preacher1011

Tithing

Postby Genghis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 am

Does anyone here do this?

I've had a feeling God is calling me to do this and I started last week. I'm a goverment worker and have a family while I do better than many people..things are still pretty tight. I've heard great things come from and God will take care of you. Does anyone have any experiences with this??
Genghis
Newb

Re: Tithing

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm

I do. When I felt called to tithe I can't say that money was tight, but I was very money driven. My money meant most to me a lot of the times. When I started tithing my heart kind of changed and I enjoyed doing it. Now after 3 years I am in an even better spot financially. I don't even miss the money, and in fact have more now! It is a heart issue. Its a matter of allowing God to work through you and for you. Trusting him to provide, and from my experiences when you do the outcome is even greater. I think many times great things do come of it, but I am not sure one should be expecting it. If you are expecting a return monetarily then you heart is not right with your giving, and we are called to give out of the heart. God calls us to tithe. Nowhere does he promise that you will get a return in your investment (well monetarily that is, however we could be rewarded in far greater ways). You are simply giving to God what is rightfully his in the first place, and trusting in Him. After all it all belongs to him anyway.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Man that’s a huge step of faith brother, I know been there. My wife and I started tithing about thirty years ago. Trust me once you do, you’ll get everyone from yourself to satan telling you you’re a fool. Don’t listen to them, you will come out on top every time. I raised three kids and owned my own home on one income ever since. God stretched my money to meet my needs. The verse I stood on was when Paul said, Phil 4:19 “ My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus” and he has. Heck during all this, I even went through bible collage. Don’t expect manna to fall out of heaven, He will have your needs met through natural means. One night I was a guess speaker at a church, I wasn’t going to get paid, and I just wanted to preach so I did anyways. Just before the service my wife and I were talking and she told me we needed $120.00 for our electrical bill and we didn’t have it. I was at that church that morning and after I was through speaking that night, I man walked up to me and said “God told me to give this to you this morning and I didn’t, I’m sorry so here it is”. I thanked him, slid the paper into my pocket and went home. So when I got home, I opened it up and it was a check for $120.00 God will meet your needs if we trust Him. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 am

870 Great post :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:39 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:870 Great post :thumbsup:

"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 am

You guys gotta drop the definition of tithing into this so people get it. I looked it up.
So how do you know that you are "tithing"??? Speaking of that, my son is TEETHING! Ouch...
Anyway, so is it the requisite 10% or is it more? Less?
What made you decide that you want to do this?
Who do you give your money too?
I'm intrigued.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:51 pm

First what tithing isnt: tithing isnt putting what you got left in your pocket at the end of the week into the plate. Tithing is taking a portion , generally 10% or more off the top and putting it were God leads you to. Ive tithed most of my adult life and until recently it has seemed like a real a sacrifice. I learned tithing from my parents and grandparent; both were successful in a buisness that was notoriously tough to be successful in. I have also recently been blessed in my buisness that I have struggled with for many years. Is God repaying me for my faithfulness? I dont know as many have given more and recieved less than me. If you are tithing as an investment plan or a buisness model, you will be disapointed. If you tithe because you feel its the least you can do and feel your faith requires it then tithing will enrich your life (not nessasarily in your wallet).
boney fingers
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Can I tell my wife that I was tithing when I bought a dozen of those really nice Dakota fully flocked mallards? :wink:

Ok, seriously....I have NEVER heard of such a thing...
A few questions:
1) Who in the world would bank on giving away 10% of their salary as an "investment plan"
2) How do you know where God points you? I mean, I've never heard of this and I find myself giving away a lot of money...donations etc...things like that. My wife and I do pretty well and we give a lot more time than money.
3) Give an example of something you did...do you have this budgeted in? Or do you just have a rough idea of what you feel like giving? Do you do a little out of each paycheck, or save it up and do something big?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 pm

I give as much as I can. But being a college student with a low paying job 10% is out of the question. But once I'm more financially stable I plan to.

Slack tide, generally people give to their church but you can also give to other Christian charitable programs and missions. I generally take a chunk out of my weekly paycheck to give to the church on Monday when I go to the service.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:32 pm

NuffDaddy wrote: I generally take a chunk out of my weekly paycheck to give to the church on Monday when I go to the service.

Monday? :huh:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote: I generally take a chunk out of my weekly paycheck to give to the church on Monday when I go to the service.

Monday? :huh:

yup. I'm usually up north over the weekend and our church has a Monday night service at 7

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 pm

What denomination?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Your personal Church is the most obvious choice for most but not the only in my opinion. The investment plan thing was only meaning you dont tithe expecting to get monatary return. I have a buisness so I dont get a paycheck persay so I estamate my yearly income then tithe weekly accordingly; adjusments are made as actual income becomes clearer. As far as knowing were to put it; we pick charitys and organizations that we feel use the money wisely and reach the most people. One time we were blessed to be able to give a substatial amount of money at once and decided to give a large sum to a crisis pregnency center; a few days later my wife got a call from the director who was crying and told my wife that that basically the donation saved the center and that the timing and amount of the donation was nothing short of a miricle.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Slack Tide wrote:What denomination?

Lutheran.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Slack as you know tithe means 10% throughout the Old Testament God commanded the children of Israel to tithe from their first fruit. What that means is, no matter what comes into your house you have to pay to God what is His, from crops to cattle In the first five books of the Old Testament written by Moses there are lots of verses that speak of it. I tithe off of the net on my paycheck after tax and all the other.
Here is a good section from Malachi 3 “I the LORD do not change. So you, the descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed. 7 Ever since the time of your ancestors you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you,” says the LORD Almighty.“But you ask, ‘How are we to return?’8 “Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me.But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’“In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe,” says the LORD Almighty. 12 “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the LORD Almighty”

Now in the New Testament it’s not commanded, but strongly suggested.
You have heard of JC Penny, it’s not just a store it was the name of the founder of the store chain .LOL He was a Christian and he said he would try to out give God. He started by giving his 10% then 20 then 30 and God blessed him and his store chain grew and grew by his death he was giving to God 90% of his income and died a very wealthy man.
Don’t ever give to get, wrong motive, you give because you are obedient to the Lord. I have been tithing and living on 90 cense on the dolor nearly as long as you’ve been alive. I’ve seen God meet all my needs He has never let me down He moves on faith and trust in Him.
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:37 am

Very interesting, I really didn't know that term, although it rang a bell from back in Catholic school.
But more specifically (not too personal, but...)
How do you structure that? Do you accumulate funds over time and then find something worthy and hand it over? Do you just figure out roughly what your budget is and give during services?

I'm sure it's out of character with your motivation to do this but, I sure hope you are writing this off!
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 am

Slack Tide wrote:Very interesting, I really didn't know that term, although it rang a bell from back in Catholic school.
But more specifically (not too personal, but...)
How do you structure that? Do you accumulate funds over time and then find something worthy and hand it over? Do you just figure out roughly what your budget is and give during services?

I'm sure it's out of character with your motivation to do this but, I sure hope you are writing this off!

I don't know about 870 but I get a weekly paycheck and I just take a certain percent and put it in the collection plate at church every weekend. And I don't write any of it off.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby simplepeddler » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:58 am

Take some time and read the "Richest man in Babylon" .

tithing is huge for me. Yes we give 10% and more..... often when we can.

It is (if I am correct) the only place in the Bible where God says "test me in this" ......as a believer I like that. Test ME, God, that you cannot out give me.

I broke from tithing through a horrible spot in life, divorce, of which was mostly, of my making.......

Took the Dave Ramsey course, committed to tihting and saving and came out of horrendence debt....96K in credit cards alone.

Today, my income has literally tripled, and I am debt free aside from my home and condo on the beach.

you damn well better believe I tithe......

Look I'm no bible toting, pounding person. Just a guy that tries everyday to better than yesterday. I tested God, and he proved.
simplepeddler
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 am

This is really, really interesting...I still think you should write it off for sure. You are all obviously NOT doing it for a tax break, so don't worry about the moral confusion about giving and then writing it off. If for nothing else, but to get a larger refund to donate that....it would be a win win....

By the way....
Wouldn't you interpret this to mean "pay yourself first" a true golden rule of finance???

Gold cometh gladly and in increasing quantity to any man who will put by not less than one-tenth of his earnings to create an estate for his future and that of his family.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 am

Slack Tide wrote:Gold cometh gladly and in increasing quantity to any man who will put by not less than one-tenth of his earnings to create an estate for his future and that of his family.

I interpret this "Gold comes in greater amounts to anyone who gives one-tenth or more of their income to God to create a place in Heaven."

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Hey Slack I just wright a check of 10% of my paycheck to my church the following Sun after my paydays. Lets get down to the real reason why I tithe. Truth is I love God. He showed me even though I was raised in church, I was horribly lost without Him. Once I came to that knowledge and asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior. My life changed big time, I didn’t want religion anymore I wanted a relationship. I received that relationship. I came to see just how lost I really was and what price he paid to rescue me from my sins and hell. I pay my tithes not for what He is doing in my life or for what he will do, it’s because of what he has already done for me.

I now belong to God I’m His. Everything I own belongs to Him I’m only a steward of it. He is my Lord; every Christian understands that, it’s like through the His Word (the Bible) He instructs me on how I’m to live, for Him. In return as my Lord He provides everything I need to live for Him. God doesn’t want a once a week relationship it’s a 24/7 I acknowledge Him in everything I do and I do it to his glory or I try too LOL Not always I’m still a sinner at time, more often that I like, trust me.

Before we leave to hunt I offer up the day to Him in prayer. I ask his blessing on our travel to and from I pray and ask Him to keep us safe on the road and water I ask Him to please allow us to shoot clean, kill clean if not to miss clean. Everyone in my truck at the end will agree by saying amen.

By me tithing I’m saying to God, I love you and trust you. People where I work have to have two jobs to survive as well as their wives working and they are finding it hard. I raised three kids, I own my own home and camp on one income I give God all the glory and praise it’s not me or us it’s Him. He’s not a respecter of persons other words He’ll do the same for you or anyone if you let Him

One verse I love is.. “I once was young and now I’m old and I haven’t seen the children of God forsaken and begging for bread”
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 am

Sounds good...It's a cool idea
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Genghis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:18 am

Well I thought I'd update you on this. I started tithing about a month ago. Last week out of nowhere I was back paid 7k and the next day got about $700 bring home pay raise. Tell me God isn't real?
Genghis
Newb

Postby papagoosehtr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:29 am

Guys my Mom always told me you cant out give God and she is so right. Give with the right heart not for monetary gain. 870 I agree with you assesment I to have always lived on one income and my buddies always wondered where ,my money came from. It really is as simple as this God streches my funds and always meets my needs.
papagoosehtr
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:03 pm

papagoosehtr wrote:Guys my Mom always told me you cant out give God and she is so right. Give with the right heart not for monetary gain. 870 I agree with you assesment I to have always lived on one income and my buddies always wondered where ,my money came from. It really is as simple as this God streches my funds and always meets my needs.

It's all God. This alone proves to me beyond a shadow of doubt that He exist.
State Moderator

Next

Return to Faith-Spirituality