Huge Mallard

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Huge Mallard

Postby QuackAddict95 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:03 pm

This has got to be the biggest mallard I have ever seen. I shot it yesterday and he had 4 curls. The one on the left is one i shot a week ago and had in the freezer.
Attachments
379633_489006484471196_1803223919_n.jpg
379633_489006484471196_1803223919_n.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
QuackAddict95
hunter

Re: Huge Mallard

Postby FowlOffspring » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 pm

In every other post that I have seen about HUGE greenheads, the guys said that it was probably a farm duck or something that got away and ended up with some wild birds. That being said, I couldnt tell you whether hes just a monster or a previously tame mallard. :huh:
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 pm

He looks hung too..... :shades:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 pm

ohioboy wrote:He looks hung too..... :shades:

A true black/mallard hybrid!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:24 am

Shot a beautiful really mature pair 2 seasons ago, drake had 5 curls... wish i would have gotten them mounted instead of grilled up :no:
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:03 am

rebelp74 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:He looks hung too..... :shades:

A true black/mallard hybrid!

Yep...I agree...th' SLONG tells da' truth!!! :lol: :grooving:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:57 am

Nice bird.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 am

How much does that bird weigh?
Skeet123
hunter

Postby casprig » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 pm

I believe he is just a mature, wild, drake mallard. Probably nearing 4 years old and has survived the gauntlet of his lifetime. Put him on the wall. Nice bird!
"We came here today either to chew bubble gum or kick ass...and we're all outta bubble gum." Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey minutes before the Battle of Midway began.
casprig
hunter

Postby JoeFish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 pm

I did'nt know and have never counted the number of curls on the tail feathers. Ill have to start checking. I know couple weeks ago we noticed that one of our drakes had a huge head. Should have counted the feather before I ATE HIM!!!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
JoeFish
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 pm

casprig wrote:I believe he is just a mature, wild, drake mallard. Probably nearing 4 years old and has survived the gauntlet of his lifetime. Put him on the wall. Nice bird!

Sorry bud, but that mallard is either a farm duck or he is OVER 15 yrs old. Mallards live to be like 20...i killed one like that earlier this season and he was pushin 5lbs and dwarfed a normal mallard, funny thing about that duck is that i was only 600yds from a park LOADED with mallards :biggrin:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 pm

The amount of curls have nothing to do with the bird's age.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 am

Duck Collector wrote:
casprig wrote:I believe he is just a mature, wild, drake mallard. Probably nearing 4 years old and has survived the gauntlet of his lifetime. Put him on the wall. Nice bird!

Sorry bud, but that mallard is either a farm duck or he is OVER 15 yrs old. Mallards live to be like 20...i killed one like that earlier this season and he was pushin 5lbs and dwarfed a normal mallard, funny thing about that duck is that i was only 600yds from a park LOADED with mallards :biggrin:

We get a couple of birds like that every year. A friend got one this year that weighted 6lbs 5oz. And no, they are not farm ducks, assuming you're talking about a cross between a standard white Peking duck and a wild mallard. Whenever that cross occurs, the bird will generally exhibit the plummage of both species, but it also has a high tendancy of inheriting the flightless capabilities of the Peking duck. Long Island was a hotbed of duck farms not all that many years ago. Most farms were located on the south shore bays, but a few were on inland ponds and lakes. We used to shoot blackbirds and starlings at some of these farms. They were considered pest birds, and the farmers appreciated us taking care of them. We used to see a lot of mallard domestic crossing going on. But in every case that we ever saw, the birds could not fly.

Come the really cold weather around here, is when we generally get those big, old, Canadian red legs that tip the scales over 6 lbs.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby talltimber » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:26 am

We usually kill a few that are big like that, or at least big for the average size we normally see. None this year. They got a head on them like a house cat. Big, pretty birds.
talltimber
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:27 pm

6 pound mallard? Nope.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:

We get a couple of birds like that every year. A friend got one this year that weighted 6lbs 5oz. And no, they are not farm ducks, assuming you're talking about a cross between a standard white Peking duck and a wild mallard. Whenever that cross occurs, the bird will generally exhibit the plummage of both species, but it also has a high tendancy of inheriting the flightless capabilities of the Peking duck. Long Island was a hotbed of duck farms not all that many years ago. Most farms were located on the south shore bays, but a few were on inland ponds and lakes. We used to shoot blackbirds and starlings at some of these farms. They were considered pest birds, and the farmers appreciated us taking care of them. We used to see a lot of mallard domestic crossing going on. But in every case that we ever saw, the birds could not fly.

Come the really cold weather around here, is when we generally get those big, old, Canadian red legs that tip the scales over 6 lbs.

Frank

Pekin ducks are white, a mallard crossed with one would be extremely obvious. Rouen ducks on the other hand look identical to mallards and while they cannot fly they average close to 10 pounds. 6 lb pure strain wild mallards do not exist, it's as simple as that. If you're shooting 6 lb mallards they are almost indefinitely a hybrid with a Rouen. I believe Pacific Eiders are the only North American duck that reaches 6 pounds.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:22 am

Yes, I'm aware of the Rouens. But a couple of things make me think that's not the case. First, crosses are a pretty rare occurance in the wild. In our experience, the occurance of these big birds is far more frequent. Second, and this is the big point, we get the same sized ducks late in the season with black ducks. Black ducks and mallards will and do interbreed. Usually, it is a male mallard and a female black duck. The thing with black ducks is that they seem to have a pretty fragile DNA and any outcross shows up easily. Mostly it's in the speculum. Any white in the speculum of a black duck indicates an outcross. Earlier this year we shot two ducks on the same hunt that went over 6 lbs a apiece. One was a drake mallard, the other was a black. The black's speculum was purple with black banding, indicating a pure strain.

I suppose that anything's possible, but there is no way to solve this without examination of a well trained duck biologist.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:23 pm

I shot a Gadwall this year that was 50% bigger than anything I shot this year. He's at the taxidermist now.
Maybe it's just genetics...I've got a brother that's 5'8" and one that's 6'5".
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:11 pm

cool but put something next to it to compare, not just another bird. like a shell, soda can, etc. measurements help too.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby QuackAddict95 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 am

this duck weighed a little over 4 1/2 pounds
QuackAddict95
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am

we get some really really big mallards like that late season. I find that when I clean them they are not "that" much bigger, but the skin is about .25" thick.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby TNDuckBoy » Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 pm

A couple of years ago I shot a mallard a little bigger than that. It laned in our decoys with a couple of white boat dock ducks. It was just a mallard that was hanging around with the tame ducks eating dog food that an old woman used to feed them.
2013-2014 Waterfowl Season

Canadian Geese-12
Mallards-4(3 drakes)
Canvasbacks-2(1drake)
Bluebills-5(4 drakes)
Redheads-7(6 drakes)
Pintails-1
Red Breasted Mergansers-6(1 drake)
Coots-22
TNDuckBoy
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 22, 2013 4:55 am

So you shot an old lady's pet duck?
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby TNDuckBoy » Thu May 23, 2013 6:18 am

Rick Hall wrote:So you shot an old lady's pet duck?

No, it started as a wild mallard, but it and the mallards in its flock started to mooch of of the food that the lady fed the white ducks. Plus the owner said that he didn't want the mallards taking tke food from the tame ones so we took care of it when they flew into our decoys. :thumbsup:
2013-2014 Waterfowl Season

Canadian Geese-12
Mallards-4(3 drakes)
Canvasbacks-2(1drake)
Bluebills-5(4 drakes)
Redheads-7(6 drakes)
Pintails-1
Red Breasted Mergansers-6(1 drake)
Coots-22
TNDuckBoy
hunter

Next