Diver decoys and Spreads...

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Diver decoys and Spreads...

Postby duhunter5 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:22 pm

Hey I really just started hunting "divers" this year and have gotten a few hear and there, but not as many as i would like. Does anyone have some ideas on types of decoys or spreads that I could use? Your help would be appreciated.
Eat, Sleep(just a little), Hunt, Fish...
duhunter5
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:11 am

the herters burlapers in 72's or 81's they will last you a lifetime or use. best decoy for diver hunting
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby psuedo quacker » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:07 pm

I use about 4 to 5 dozen supersized bluebills for my diver hunts. I think that the placement on the right type of water( deep and next to possible drop off is the best location. Next you need to adjust your spread keeping in mind the birds will land mostly infront of spread. Lead off your spread with a hen colored bird seems to be more effective.
I us a j pattern but I have used a number of different variations of spreads depending on the wind and where I wanted to put my boat. Remember that you can and probably make adjustments to your spread if the birds are not attracted. Move your boat, change your spread configuration. Do what works better on each seperate trip. Diver hunting is the best.
I usually put anywhere from a dozen to 16 dekes on each string when I set up.
psuedo quacker
Newb

Postby hooked on quack » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:01 pm

dont mix up your decoys though divers are wierd dont put a dozen bluebills with a dozen ringnecks hope i didnt catch you late
when im not hunting my life is being wasted
hooked on quack
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:27 pm

I use 3-4 doz. bluebills, either in tight bunches representing rafting bluebills, or like the other hunters said, in a standard J spread. I use a mix of g&h and Greenhead gear bluebills, the burlaps look nice, but man are they expensive.
texan68
hunter

Postby 10 ga. » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:32 am

The more the merrier I use any decoy I can get for cheep and paint them black and white Im even considering using white and black plastic jugs to add to my numbers.
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Postby roscoesbuddy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:49 am

hey guys i got a question i'm confused about the J-shape formation all the diver hunting i have done was with two strait lines pointing to were we wanted the ducks to land can someone help me out on the j-shape thing. thanks i'm still faily new at this
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:14 pm

the nuemann and bennett diver dekes are awesome. from now on i am only getting supermags. just that much more visibility.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum